How Smart are Beavers?
- ZooLex. Henderson, Kevin; Spickelmier, Grant; Ness, Tom // ZOOs' Print;Nov2015, Vol. 30 Issue 11, p23
The article offers information about the Minnesota Zoological Gardens featuring animals such as rodentia or Castor canadensis.
- Dam if they do, dam if they don't. Harbrecht, Doug // National Wildlife (World Edition);Apr/May91, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p34
Looks at the problems beavers cause when they take up residence near people. Loss of trees; Marshy ponds; Flooding problems; Extinction threat in late 1800s and early 1900s; Beavers' adaptability; Beavers in Denver, Colorado and Chicago, Illinois; Alteration of their environment; Lack of areas...
- BEAVERS: CASTORIDAE. // Peterson Field Guide to Mammals of North America;2006, p179
An encyclopedia entry for "Beavers: Castoridae" is presented. It is noted that the American Beaver (Castor canadensis) is the largest rodent and is semiaquatic. It has small eyes and earns and a large orange incisors. It is mainly nocturnal or crepuscular, although they are sometimes seen by...
- THE BEAVER. // New York State Conservationist;Apr2004, Vol. 58 Issue 5, p15
Presents information on beavers. Description; Habitat and foods; Reproduction.
- North American beaver. // Encyclopedia of Animals;2006, p1
North American beavers build dams across streams, rivers, and lakes. They stay in their dams all winter, eating from the storage pile of food that they collected in the fall.
- PLATE 2 LARGE SEMIAQUATIC RODENTS. // Peterson Field Guide to Mammals of North America;2006, p4
An encyclopedia entry for "large semi-aquatic rodents" found in North America is presented. The common muskrat has a glossy brown fur and tail flattened on sides, while the coypu is larger than the common muskrat, with coarser fur and rounded tail. The American beaver has scaly, paddle-shaped...
- Composition and Demographics of Beaver (Castor canadensis) Colonies in Central Illinois. McTaggart, Stanley T.; Nelson, Thomas A. // American Midland Naturalist;Jul2003, Vol. 150 Issue 1, p139
Deals with a study which determined the composition and demographics of beaver (Castor canadensi) colonies in Central Illinois. Size and sex-age composition of beaver colonies; Reproductive rates of female beavers; Efficacy of night-vision surveys versus removal trapping for estimating colony...
- The Truth Behind the New movie Open Season. Kiffel, Jamie // National Geographic Kids;Oct2006, Issue 364, p30
The article discusses the truth behind the movie Open Season. As the foreman of his dam-building crew, Reilly the beaver barks out instructions like a real construction foreman. In real life, beavers are like a superpowered construction crew. Beavers have great tools, such as their tough teeth...
- Central Place Foraging by Beavers (Castor canadensis) in a Complex Lake Habitat. RAFFEL, THOMAS R.; SMITH, NICOLE; CORTRIGHT, CATHERINE; GATZ, A. JOHN // American Midland Naturalist;Jul2009, Vol. 162 Issue 1, p62
Beavers (Castor canadensis) are important as ecosystem engineers and are useful model organisms for testing central-place foraging theory. Much previous work has done this in controlled situations, whereas here we tested predictions in a complex natural habitat by collecting data on beaver-cut...