SMART PIPES, DUMB PIPES AND QoS
- Protesters get the ear of TCI brass. Hall, Lee // Electronic Media;1/27/97, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p18
Reports on the decision made by TCI to reintroduce VH1 and Music Television (MTV) to its broadcasting after protest from customers nationwide. Comments from musicians Don Haley and John Mellencamp; Amount of subscribers for MTV and VH1; Comments from Margaret Lejuste, director of government...
- On the map. // Broadcasting & Cable;05/19/97, Vol. 127 Issue 21, p47
Focuses on Tele-Communications Inc.'s (TCI) carriage agreements with Outdoor Life and Speedvision TV cable television networks. Consortium of multi-systems operators (MSO) that own both networks; Deal for an analog rollout with possible carriage on digital; Projections for the increase in the...
- TCI, SportsChannel Florida in price war. Zbar, Jeffery // Electronic Media;11/4/96, Vol. 15 Issue 45, p40
Focuses on a pricing dispute between TCI and SportsChannel Florida, which has affected Florida Panthers hockey fans. Information on pricing issue; Comments from Dean Jordan, president of SportsChannel Florida's parent Front Row Productions.
- Twelve-step programs to get a TV channel. // Addiction Letter;Jul94, Vol. 10 Issue 7, p6
Reports on the agreement between Tele-Communications Inc. and Recovery Net president Jonathan Katch to begin broadcasting by the end of 1994. Featured programs; Advantages for people wavering in their resolve to remain sober; Concerns about the possibility that alcohol and other drug abusers...
- TCI sets C-SPAN deal. // Electronic Media;05/05/97, Vol. 16 Issue 19, p39
Focuses on a deal signed by TCI to carry C-SPAN and C-SPAN 2 on all of its cable systems in two and a half years. How long is the agreement expected to last; Reference to TCI's additional plans and changes to management.
- TCI puts People in carriage. Richmond, Ray // Variety;08/18/97, Vol. 368 Issue 2, p25
Reports on cable television network CBS Eye on People's affiliation agreement with cable operator Tele-Communications Inc. (TCI). Terms of the agreement.
- Viewers want their C-SPAN. Katz, Michael // Broadcasting & Cable;02/10/97, Vol. 127 Issue 6, p45
Reports that a group of viewers in Seattle, Washington lobbied cable operator Tele-Communications Inc. to restore cable television network C-SPAN to full-time status. Details in the reductions of C-SPAN's hours; Channel changes in the system; TCI's decision to restore C-SPAN 2 on its system in...
- Liberty Sports sets up in-house rep. Brown, Rich // Broadcasting & Cable;11/21/94, Vol. 124 Issue 47, p34
Reports that Tele-Communications Inc.'s is starting a national sales rep firm for its regional sports networks as part of TCI's Liberty Sports programming arm. Other developments at Liberty Sports.
- TCI move is sour note for VH1. J.M. // Broadcasting & Cable;12/09/96, Vol. 126 Issue 51, p13
Reports that VH-1, Viacom's music video network, is among the cable networks that Tele-Communications Inc. will drop from its systems. Move as a way to make room for networks such as Discovery Communications' Animal and Turner's Cartoon Network; Speculations on the possibility that TCI may drop...