Between the land and the sea
- East End landscapes. Carpentier, Ralph // Conservationist;1994, Vol. 48 Issue 3, p24
Presents a photo essay with text of the author's landscape paintings of New York state scenes. His education and career background; Why he changed his painting style to portray the local landscape in a more intimate way.
- Holding steady. Hinchman, Hannah; Stine, Annie // Sierra;Jan/Feb94, Vol. 79 Issue 1, p24
Recounts the author's search for a difficult landscape to draw to take her mind off the death of her horse. The miles of empty, rolling country above the serrations of badlands and below the forested Absaroka foothills; The sound of hunters' guns that reminds her of the bullet that ended her...
- Preserving the landscape. Lambrecht, Amy // American Artist;Nov1993, Vol. 57 Issue 616, p28
Presents views of the artist Amy Lambrecht on landscape painting and environmental conservation. The Finger Lakes Land Trust (FLLT); Suggestions to FLLT president A. Carl Leopold on the creation of a series of paintings of the protected properties; Securing of an exhibition space in the...
- A modern look at landscape painting: Ten tips for working en plein air. Adoquei, Sam // American Artist;Sep1994, Vol. 58 Issue 626, p46
Presents tips on landscape painting. Painting without preconceived ideas; Use of a limited palette; Patterns of light and shadow; Color relationships; Flexibility.
- Drawing nature close up. Holen, Norman // American Artist;May1995, Vol. 59 Issue 634, p34
Looks at the art techniques used by the author in his paintings on nature.
- Getting a new perspective on landscapes. Davis, Dean // American Artist;Feb1997, Vol. 61 Issue 655, p46
Opinion. Presents the author's perspective on landscape paintings. How his trips to different countries gave the him a chance to have abundant idea and source material; The use of symbols and other devices to add life and variety to the author's paintings; How the author's experience as a film...
- Composing urban landscapes. Martino, Babette // American Artist;Jun1997, Vol. 61 Issue 659, p36
Presents a detailed description of painting urban landscapes. Demonstration of the landscape painting `Bridges in Montgomery County'; Making an on-site preparatory sketch of the setting in graphite; Painting the sky; Working on the urban scene; Using linear perspective, a mathematical system of...
- Capturing stillness and life. Dodge, Robert // American Artist;Mar1995, Vol. 59 Issue 632, p34
Discusses the techniques used by the author in his paintings.
- Avoid overworking your painting. Sheehan, Steven // American Artist;Mar1995, Vol. 59 Issue 632, p10
Answers a reader's query on how to avoid an `overworked' quality in landscape paintings.