News @ a glance
- Betting on better access to care. Cahoon, Margot // Behavioral Healthcare;Dec2006, Vol. 26 Issue 12, p14
The article focuses on the collaborative effort of the Massachusetts Council on Compulsive Gambling and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Bureau of Substance Abuse Services (DPH/BSAS) to integrate gambling disorder services into traditional substance disorder prevention and...
- Betting on the cause. Gianatasio, David // Adweek New England Edition;03/15/99, Vol. 36 Issue 11, p4
Reports on the selection of social marketing firm causemedia to develop an advertising campaign to combat compulsive gambling in Massachusetts. Selection of the firm by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the Massachusetts Council on Compulsive Gambling; Target of ads; Advertising...
- NCRG SITE COMBATS PROBLEM GAMBLING ON COLLEGE CAMPUSES. // Casino Journal;May2011, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p11
The article reviews the web site collegegambling.org from National Center for Responsible Gaming (NCRG).
- CLUBS NSW BRING GAMBLING REFORM. // Australian Hotelier;Apr2012, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p11
The article offers information on an online technology service "self-exclusion system" launched by the ClubsNSW to combat problem gambling around Australia which will be provided to clubs across New South Wales free of charge to all clubs across the state.
- Compulsive gambling plan needs reshuffling. // Crain's Chicago Business;01/01/2001, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p8
Editorial. Criticizes the Illinois Gaming Board's proposal to contain compulsive gambling. Plan in favor of casinos; Need penalizing compulsive gamblers and casinos alike.
- CASINOS AND GAMBLING. // City & State;2/25/2013, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p23
An interview with New York Assemblyman Steve Cymbrowitz is presented wherein he cites his concern about the lack of sufficient funding for the prevention and treatment of problem gambling which could become worse with the legalization of casino gambling.
- Focus on hospitals. Searle, Jane // BRW;5/15/2008, Vol. 30 Issue 19, p21
The article reports on the allocations for public health stipulated in the Australian budget. According to the author, $3.3 billion will be spent over five years on public health. Long-term infrastructure needs will be addressed through a $10 billion health and hospitals fund to be set up by...
- THE ALLOPLASTIC NATURE OF PATHOLOGICAL GAMBLING. Petry, Nancy M.; Madden, Gregory J.; Roll, John M. // Analysis of Gambling Behavior;2007, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p25
The authors comment on the behavioral model of gambling proposed by professors Mark R. Dixon and Jeffrey N. Weatherly. They say that both professors seem to imply that pathological gamblers may be more susceptible to adhering with verbal rules and they are more incline to attribute their...
- New ACHI toolkit helps hospitals gauge their communities' needs. Malamud, Matthew // AHA News;2/4/2008, Vol. 44 Issue 3, p6
The article reports on the new online toolkit developed by the Association for Community Health Improvement that can help hospitals better assess their communities' health needs. The toolkit provides hospitals with task checklists, budget and timeline guides and a description of the skills...