Examination of Strength Training and Detraining Effects in Expiratory Muscles
- Inspiratory muscle training in quadriplegic patients. Marques Silveira, Janne; Gastaldi, Ada Clarice; De Matos Boaventura, Cristina; Souza, Hugo Celso // Jornal Brasileiro de Pneumologia;may2010, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p313
Objective: To determine whether inspiratory muscle training can increase strength and endurance of these muscles in quadriplegic patients. Methods: Eight quadriplegic patients (7 males and 1 female) with injury to the lower cervical spine (segments C4-C7) were submitted to inspiratory muscle...
- BREATHE LIFE INTO YOUR RUN. // Men's Fitness;Nov2013, Vol. 29 Issue 10, p14
The article focuses on studies about physical fitness. A research reveals that breathing rhythmically in two strides per breath takes stress off respiratory muscles and lessens fatigue. A study in the journal "Medicina Sportiva" reveals that the order in which individuals do their exercises does...
- BOUNCE back fast. Hanson, Teri // Fit Pregnancy;Oct/Nov2005, Vol. 12 Issue 5, p136
Presents the steps in performing a postnatal exercise program focused on muscle strength and cardiorespiratory system. Warm-up exercise recommended; Tips on doing a cardio exercise; Reminder in doing a cool-down exercise.
- A Balancing Act. Sovik, Rolf // Yoga International;Winter2012/2013, Issue 120, p40
The article offers information on regulating one's breath to help achieve a note of harmony between the body and the mind. The respiratory system manages to get its job done right more than 21,000 times a day. Breathing serves purposes only distantly related to our basic physiological needs....
- Running ON AIR. // Health & Fitness Magazine;Summer2015, p110
The article offers tips on running and proper breathing. Topics discussed include training the respiratory system to work at its best and enhance the running skills and transformational breath coach Rebecca Dennis's comment on the difference between chest breathers and belly breathers. Also...
- Take a Breather. Beck, Kevin // Men's Fitness;Oct2003, Vol. 19 Issue 10, p36
Presents several breathing exercises to maximize body energy. Effect of a focused, controlled breathing on the body; Description of the savasana or the corpse-pose breathing; Details of the alternate-nostril breathing; Information on three-part breathing.
- The Effects of Strength Training of Pelvis Elevator Muscles on Exhalation Capacity in Healthy Men. Sasaki, Makoto; Sato, Mineyoshi; Hatakeyama, Kazutoshi // Journal of Physical Therapy Science;2007, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p91
The article presents a study that examines the effect of pelvis elevator muscles strength training on exhalation capacity. Under the study, 26 male subjects undertook pelvis elevator muscles strengthening twice a day for four weeks. The changes in exhalation capacity before and after training...
- ASK THE STRONGMAN. Philippi, Mark // Men's Fitness;Mar2004, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p116
Focuses on improving the muscle strength of men. Tips on weight lifting; Body position for training; Information on breathing technique.
- POWERBREATHE. Spiker, Ted // National Geographic Adventure;Dec2005/Jan2006, Vol. 7 Issue 10, p41
The article presents information on Powerbreathe. What squats do for legs, the Powerbreathe purports to do for lungs. But while the device forces one to take deeper breaths, it can't replace hours on the trail.