'Essential Government Function' Needed for Conduit Debt
- Issuers Who Draw Down Get Favorable IRS Ruling. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;11/27/2001, Vol. 338 Issue 31272, p5
Reports that a recent ruling by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service may help issuers that 'draw down' their bond proceeds in several installments. Provisions under the ruling; Requirements for prematurely issuance of bonds; Impact of the ruling on issuers.
- Tax-exempts gain focus. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;04/21/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30624, p1
Highlights a preliminary blueprint for the reorganization of the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) which would give more focus on tax-exempt bonds. Establishment of a tax-exempt operating division; Significant increase in the number of people and agents that would focus solely on bonds.
- Stand Back From the Edge. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;05/10/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31136, p1
Reports the warning issued by an Internal Revenue Service official against buying bonds from aggressive deals in Las Vegas, Nevada. Implications for institutional investors and municipal market buyers; Issuance of audit letters; Reaction from National Federation of Municipal Analysts on audit...
- Lawyers Doubt IRS Will Target Non-Settlement Deals. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;04/11/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30868, p4
Reports that bond lawyers are skeptical that the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will launch an auditing effort of issuers that are not covered by federal yield-burning settlements. Issues that IRS might prioritize; Comments of Charles Anderson, the IRS manager of field operations...
- Issuers, Lawyers Set BAB Strategy Session. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;6/2/2010, Vol. 372 Issue 33326, p1
The article reports on the move of municipal issuers and their bond lawyers in Washington, D.C. in scheduling meetings to discuss whether the Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) compliance push on Build America Bonds (BAB) will discourage them from issuing bonds. It mentions that they plan to audit...
- IRS Unearths 'Systematic' Kickback Scheme. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;5/11/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32379, p1
The article reports on the plan of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) concerning the sending of the 15 letters to bond issuers about a systematic arbitrage kickback scheme. This scheme has involved qualified guarantees for unloaned proceeds from lease-to-own bond deals, and the IRS believes...
- Arizona School Board Sale. Albanese, Elizabeth; Barnett, Susanna Duff // Bond Buyer;7/13/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31924, p1
Reports on the plan of the Arizona School Facilities Board to sell multimillion-dollar revenue bonds and certificates of participation. Purpose of the planned sale; Reference to a private-letter ruling received by the board from the Internal Revenue Service; Comments of Grant Hamill, director at...
- Top 10 E-Mailed Stories. // Bond Buyer;2/2/2009, Vol. 367 Issue 33053, p30
The article lists the top ten e-mailed stories regarding bonds in the U.S. including the launching of the post-issuance compliance check on governmental bond issuers by the Internal Revenue Service, the municipal bond yield curve and the budget deficits in San Francisco, California.
- Issuers Object to Proposal That They Be Liable If Bonds Are Ruled Taxable. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;4/11/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32108, p5
Focuses on the battle over the proposed changes to Circular 230 by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. Protest of bond issuers on the suggestion of bond lawyers that issuers be held liable if the agency deems a bond issue taxable; Recommendation for insulating bondholders from the risk of having...