- To protect and defend. // Fire Chief;Apr2003, Vol. 47 Issue 4, p70
Features several protective clothing to protect firefighters from flames and hazardous materials. Firefighting gloves; Boots; Technical rescue garments; Firefighting hoods.
- SCBA/ PROTECTIVE CLOTHING & EQUIPMENT. // Fire Chief;Jan/Feb2004 Supplement, Vol. 48, p10
Features several protective equipment for firefighters and emergency medical technicians in the United States. Boots; Gloves; Heater; Light baton; Heat-stress monitor.
- Thermal performance and limitations of bunking gear. Lawson, J. Randall // Fire Engineering;Aug98, Vol. 151 Issue 8, p37
Studies the thermal performance and limitations of firefighters' protective clothing. Differences in responding to the three modes of heat transfer which include radiation and convection; Definition of thermal burns; Characteristics of firefighters' protective clothing and equipment...
- Firefighter Tom's Gear. // Click;Jul/Aug2009, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p26
The article presents information about the equipment and clothing of firefighters. Firefighter wear hard helmets that protect their heads from falling debris. They also wear thick jackets to protect them against fire, water and heat. Hands are guarded from fire and sharp objects by the gloves...
- Development of Instrumented Manikin Hands for Characterizing the Thermal Protective Performance of Gloves in Flash Fire Exposures. Hummel, Alexander; Barker, Roger; Lyons, Kevin; Deaton, A. Shawn; Morton-Aslanis, John // Fire Technology;Jul2011, Vol. 47 Issue 3, p615
This paper describes a newly developed instrumented hand manikin fire test system called Pyrohands. This system is designed to measure the thermal protective performance of gloves in controlled flame exposures, including predicted second and third degree burns and the distribution of burns to...
- Safety Gloves. // Fire Chief;Jan2006, Vol. 50 Issue 1, Special section p3
The article focuses on the Glo Glov, a pair of gloves from Emergency Responder Products. These gloves are compact, lightweight and fit in a pocket. They offer hands-free dexterity and work in all seasons.
- Total Heat Loss. Bove, Ron // Fire Engineering;Aug2002, Vol. 155 Issue 8, p130
Focuses on the test method Total Heat Loss (THL) for turnout gear. Definition of THL; Generation of excess body heat in wearing turnout gear; Measurement of heat stress.
- Not Your Father's Turnout. Modecai, Mark // Fire Chief;Apr2004, Vol. 48 Issue 4, p98
Discusses the improvements in personal protective equipment of firefighters in the U.S. Fundamental change in the job of the firefighter; Recognition of the role of the fist-responder in fire service; Response of personal protective equipment manufacturers to introduce new range of solutions to...
- Pittsburgh to Examine PPE, Use in Firefighter Injuries. // Fire Chief Exclusive Insight;5/10/2011, p1
The article reports that fire officials in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is investigating whether personal protective equipment (PPE) use by firefighters was the cause of the first-and-second-degree burns they suffered when fell from stairs.