Foam's New Faces, Uses
- GEAR: EQUIPMENT NEWS. // Wildfire;Sep/Oct2011, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p32
The article offers brief information on fire extinction equipment including Council Combi-Tool from Forestry Suppliers Inc., Shasta Tool from Cascade Fire Equipment Co. and Gorgui V.2 from Supply Cache.
- Firefighter rescue transceivers: The future of PASS? // Fire Chief;Jul/Aug2005 Supplement, Vol. 49, p3
The article presents a comparison of protective clothing and equipment for fire emergencies including the Tracker Firefighter Rescue Transceivers from Exit Technologies, the Accountability Tags from My-Lor Inc., and the ThorogoodÂ® Black Boulder wildfire boots from Forestry Suppliers Inc., and...
- Quantitative fire performance testing of compressed-air foam. Edwards, C. Bruce // Fire Engineering;Jul98, Vol. 151 Issue 7, p119
Discusses the effectiveness of compressed-air foam in suppressing fires. Comparison with plain water as fire extinction method; Anecdotal reports and experience on ability of compressed-air foam to kill fires; Existing standards for Class A foam formulations; Water-to-air ratio; Preliminary...
- MASSIVE ATTACK. Colletti, Dominic // Fire Chief;Jul2004, Vol. 48 Issue 7, p36
Focuses on the use of compressed-air foam system in fire fighting. Range of foam consistencies;Use of rotary air compressor.
- Foam for Big-Water Incidents. Ballantyne, Bill // Fire Chief;Nov2008, Vol. 52 Issue 11, pFF.8
The article offers information on how alcohol-resistant aqueous film-forming foam (AR-AFFF) handles fire accident in the U.S. It states that AR-AFFF's new version, dubbed as NFPA 11 Low, Medium, and High Expansion Foam, breaks down liquid fuel fires into various categories, including loading...
- product showcase. // Fire Engineering;Mar2012, Vol. 165 Issue 3, p152
The article reviews a number of fire prevention products, including truck maker Danko Emergency's Expeditor fire tanker, electronics company Robotronics' animated Sparky the Fire Dog mascot costume, and shoe manufacturer Globe's Supreme flame retardant boots.
- Eductor Education. Cottrell, Jim // Fire Chief;Oct2008, Vol. 52 Issue 10, p78
The article provides tips for setting up a successful foam-eductor operations. It states that alcohol-resistant foam is supposed to be gel-like in appearance and the eductor should be attached to a pump discharge. Meanwhile, the article also provides some techniques on how to handle the case...
- ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT OF FOAM. Cortina, Tom // Fire Safety Engineering;Apr2008, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p33
The article investigates the several types of firefighting foams and systems available in preventing, suppressing, and extinguishing fuel pool fires. It also compares the toxicity of different firefighting foam agents through testing six foam concentrates for acute toxicity in two different...
- Conductive and Radiative Heat Transfer in Ceramic and Metal Foams at Fire Temperatures. Coquard, Rémi; Rochais, Denis; Baillis, Dominique // Fire Technology;Jul2012, Vol. 48 Issue 3, p699
In addition to the multiple actual or possible applications of metal and ceramic foams in various technological fields, their thermal properties make them a good candidate for utilization as fire barriers. Several studies have shown experimentally their exceptional fire retardance due to their...