- BECOMING A GOOSE IN A WORLD OF TURKEYS: EFFECTIVE LEADERSHIP IN THE FIRE SERVICE. Stoney, Lori P. // Fire Engineering;Aug2006, Vol. 159 Issue 8, p69
The article focuses on effective leadership in fire prevention service in the U.S. A good fire service leader must learn the quality of character. These leaders are infused with humor and humility. A proficient leader has a vision an is intensely focused on outcome and results and has a workable...
- Fire fighter fatalities 1998-2001: overview with an emphasis on structure related traumatic fatalities. Hodous, T. K.; Pizatella, T. J.; Braddee, R.; Castillo, D. N. // Injury Prevention (1353-8047);Aug2004, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p222
Objective: To review the causes of all fire fighter line-of-duty-deaths from 1998 through 2001, and present recommendations for preventing fatalities within the specific subgroup of structure related events. Methods: Fire fighter fatality data from the United States Fire Administration were...
- TACTICS: THE LIMITING/ ENHANCING FACTOR FOR STRATEGIC DECISIONS. Brennan, Tom // Fire Engineering;Sep2005, Vol. 158 Issue 9, p134
Presents views and insights on the tactics of limiting or enhancing factor for strategic decisions in fire prevention in the U.S. Thoughts on the changes of tactics and strategies in fire prevention; Assessment of the current tactics by fire fighters in fire prevention.
- Volunteers Corner: THE FIRST TWO SECONDS. Buckman III, John M. // Fire Engineering;Aug2006, Vol. 159 Issue 8, p12
The article on the theory called adaptive unconscious, which can be used by incident commanders of fire fighters in the U.S. The paper also aims to encourage firefighters, officers, chiefs, and incident commanders to rely on their intuitive decision-making processes. It was stated that to make...
- Firefighters Teach Fire Safety. // Weekly Reader - Edition 2;10/3/2003, Vol. 73 Issue 6, p3
Deals with the role of firefighters in teaching children and other people about fire safety.
- Building Hazards on the Outside. Morelock, Jamie C. // Fire Engineering;Nov2007, Vol. 160 Issue 11, p36
The article discusses various dangers which are faced by fire fighters who are fighting a fire from the outside of a building. Differences of the dangers faced by fire fighters inside and outside a building are mentioned. Descriptions of various buildings which possess dangers for external fire...
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR. Woods, Don; Lewin, Robert; Walsh, Konrad; Carrigan, Scott // Fire Engineering;Mar2014, Vol. 167 Issue 3, p54
Several letters to the editor are presented including one which discusses the need for fire service instructors to adapt to changes when training fire fighters, another which calls on the government to ban sky lanterns, and another which defines good leadership in fire service.
- In Nature vs. Nurture, Learned Behaviors Rule. Evans, Bruce // Fire Chief;Jul2004, Vol. 48 Issue 7, p20
Reports on the motivation of firefighters to improve their skills in the U.S. Fire service missions.
- Line-of-Duty Deaths. // Fire Engineering;Dec2006, Vol. 159 Issue 12, p42
The article reports on deaths involving firefighters in the U.S. during the performance of their duties. The incidents happened from September 22 to October 31, 2006. Firemen included Lieutenant Ronald Phillip Allen Jr., Firefighter John A. Beyer, Junior Firefighter Christopher Allens Bodkins...