Out Where the Rubber Meets the Rural Road
- The RIT Tarp. CAVANAGH, DENNY; SCOTT, CHRIS // Fire Engineering;Jan2010, Vol. 163 Issue 1, p101
The authors discuss the improved rapid intervention team (RIT) tarp that was employed by the Rockford Fire Department in Illinois for its own training program. They note that the RIT can bring some tools that are part of the first group of the tarp to the scene of the incident. They state the...
- The Impact of Department Culture on Fireground Safety. Alder, Mike; Fratus, Mat // Fire Engineering;Jun2007, Vol. 160 Issue 6, p83
This article discusses fire administrators, the safety measures that have been put into effect for emergencies, and how many firefighters are performing operations while taking unnecessary risks. The author describes expensive gear, radio equipment, and apparatus that go unused by well trained...
- Positioning Apparatus for Maximum Efficiency and Safety. GUSTIN, BILL // Fire Engineering;Feb2010, Vol. 163 Issue 2, p63
The article discusses the safe and effective placement of apparatus at fire scenes. The author advises that a firefighter should have the foresight to visualize the fire, the fire building, and what the fire scene would look later once other apparatus are installed. A fire officer who is first...
- PREPARING FOR A WILDFIRE SEASON THAT DOES NOT END. Halton, Bobby // Fire Engineering;Feb2007, Vol. 160 Issue 2, p8
A letter from the editor is presented, that expresses his opinion on the need for better training and equipment for fighting wildfires. He gives mention to the Esperanza Fire in California from fall 2006, and looks at how five firefighters died because of the lack of proper training and...
- Here Come the Firefighters! // Scholastic News -- Edition 2;Oct2005, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p2
Provides information on firefighters.
- MEET A FIREFIGHTER. // Scholastic News -- Edition 2 (Teacher's Edition);Oct2001, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p7
Presents a guide to teaching about firefighter.
- 19 firefighters die in Ariz. wildfire (with related video). // Fire Chief Expert Blog;7/ 1/2013, p1
The article reports on the death of 19 members of the Granite Mountain Hotshots of the Fire Department of Prescott, Arizona who were trying to put out the Yarnell Hill Fire.
- A cooperative approach to building a healthier fire service. // Fire Engineering;Jan1998, Vol. 151 Issue 1, p53
Discusses The Fire Service Joint Labor Management Well/Fitness Initiative. Information about the Initiative; Provision for comprehensive mandatory annual medical exams by the fire department; Provision for workout scheduling, resource support and/or access to resources on duty to support...
- Braggin' rights go to Kyle Fire Dept. // Hays Free Press (Buda, TX);10/18/2006, Vol. 103 Issue 27, Special Section p1
The article presents the photographs of the 2006 annual Kyle Fire department function.