3Katrina's Lone Star Legacy
- Testing southern hospitality. // Journal of Property Management;May/Jun94, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p10
Reports on the findings of the United States Commerce Department's Census Bureau on internal migration in the United States for the period March 1991 to March 1992. Number of people who moved to the southern states; Percent of the population which moved from one residence to another; Percent of...
- Is Moving Gendered? The Effects of Residential Mobility on the Psychological Well-Being of Men and Women. Magdol, Lynn // Sex Roles;Dec2002, Vol. 47 Issue 11-12, p553
Presents a study which used secondary analysis to reexamine the negative psychological effects of residential mobility. Review of literature on residential mobility; Impact of physical location on postmodern men and women; Discussion of results.
- Comparing South African and Latin American Experience: Migration and Housing... Gilbert, Alan; Crankshaw, Owen // Urban Studies (Routledge);Dec99, Vol. 36 Issue 13, p2375
Summary. Given similar levels of economic development and inequality, it seems strange that more effort has not been made by South Africans to learn from the earlier experience of urbanisation in countries such as Brazil, Chile and Colombia. The paper shows that there are problems in drawing...
- When Children Move. // Phi Delta Kappan;Nov84, Vol. 66 Issue 3, p162
Focuses on the problems posed to school systems by children on the move as their parents and families relocate in the U.S. Increase in number of families relocating in the U.S.; Schools as familiar points of reference for children who travel with their families.
- The good life. Travers, Tony // Public Finance;8/5/2005, p18
Explains the reasons for the continued population plight from city centers into the countryside in Great Britain. Impact of the economic decline in cities on the decision of resident to relocate; Tendency for government policies to drift away from most cities; Failure of government policy to...
- Communications law. // Reporter;Sep98, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p17
Examines the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) which was signed into law in 1990, with reference to reasonable accommodations for disabled individuals in a case of emergency evacuation. Purpose of the ADA; Estimation of the number of Americans with physical and mental...
- Fleeing Fickle Floyd. // Christian Science Monitor;9/20/99, Vol. 91 Issue 206, p8
Editorial. Asserts that the United States should consider improving its transport system for emergency evacuation as evidenced by events caused by Hurricane Floyd in September 1999.
- Islands. Chwialkowska, Luiza // Time International (South Pacific Edition);9/4/95, Issue 35, p9
Reports that half of the resident of the Caribbean island of Montserrat was evacuated as eruptions in the vent of the Soufriere Hills volcano became increasingly violent.
- Darcus Howe. Howe, Darcus // New Statesman;09/26/97, Vol. 126 Issue 4353, p34
Focuses on the evacuation of civilians in Montserrat, Spain, resulting from the volcanic eruptions in the region. People's attachment to the place; Relocation to Antigua and Barbuda; Criticisms leveled against George Martin.