A Cheaper Way to Rewind
- A Security Solution Made for Hollywood. Stump, Matt // Multichannel News;3/8/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 10, p69
Introduces Virtual SmartCard, a software-based encryption technology from Widevine Technologies Inc. Potential application of Virtual SmartCard to the cable operator market; Shortcomings of the technology; Benefit of the Virtual SmartCard.
- Say bye-bye to your Blockbuster. Swann, Phillip // Electronic Media;2/17/2003, Vol. 22 Issue 7, p15
Focuses on the impact of video-on-demand (VOD) service offered by cable television networks on the video retail business. Advantages of the service to viewers; Expectations of the cable television officials from the VOD service; Shortcomings of the service; Challenges faced by video retail...
- The Northern network. Levine, Shira // Telephony;02/03/97, Vol. 232 Issue 5, p58
Focuses on Canada-based cable television operators' applications for the approval of video-on-demand (VOD) licenses. View of cable operators about VOD services; Consideration of VOD as a broadcasting service; Need for cable companies to deliver better services than those offered by wireless...
- getting in the GAME. Baumgartner, Jeff // CED;Jun2003, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p28
Focuses on video on demand (VOD) products for the cable industry. Comcast's VOD platforms that could support about 450 hours of content; Concept of separating the streaming from the storage; InfoValue Computing Inc.'s software platform, called QuickVideo OnDemand. INSET: nCUBE opens up.
- VOD COMING ASHORE IN A SMALL CITY NEAR YOU? // CED;Aug2001 Supplement, Vol. 27, p20
Focuses on implications of technological developments on the availability of video-on-demand (VOD) systems for small cable operators in the United States. Impact of the distributed VOD architecture on independent operators; Assessment of systems specifications and cost; Effect of the...
- Basic Nets Play VOD Card, Move Forward with Trials . Stump, Matt // Multichannel News;8/20/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 34, p35
Focuses on the trend among United States cable television companies of moving forward with video-on-demand (VOD) trials. Intended purpose for cable television providers' decision to enter the VOD arena; Overview on the VOD trials conducted by various industry players; Potential advantages of...
- Cable ops give VOD a leg up. Sweeting, Paul // Variety;06/28/99-07/11/99, Vol. 375 Issue 7, p17
Reports on the support of video-on-demand promoters to the commitment of cable operators in providing high-speed Internet access and local telephone service in the United States. Advantages of the infrastructure; Move of Hollywood Entertainment in acquiring Reel.com; Cable stocks; Needs of...
- PS2's Other Killer App. Crupi, Anthony // Cable World (10427228);12/9/2002, Vol. 14 Issue 46, p38
Discusses the use of Sony Playstation 2 to cable television operators as media gateways capable of delivering full video on demand. Details on its application; Benefits of the application.
- Putting the V in VOD. Romano, Allison // Broadcasting & Cable;5/13/2002, Vol. 132 Issue 20, p24
Reports the willingness of broadcast networks and studios to support the video-on-demand (VOD) efforts of cable operators in the U.S. Decision of Fox to license 24 and FX original drama 'The Shield' to Cablevision for a free-VOD trial; Plans of National Broadcasting Corp. and Concast to deliver...