Satellite Takes Focus Off Price
- Ahead of the Pack. Karrfalt, Wayne // Multichannel News;10/28/2002 Supplement, Vol. 23, p32B
Focuses on the pace set by direct broadcasting services (DBS) companies in the competitive markets of the U.S. Cable Industry to win subscribers for Latino pay tiers. Growth of the Hispanic satellite subscriptions in the U.S.; Approach to the Hispanic marketplace changed by DBS company DirecTV...
- THROUGH THE WIRE. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;6/11/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 24, p10
Reports developments on cable services industry in the United States as of June 2001. Move of Echostar Communications Corp. Chairman Charlie Ergen in bidding for DirectTV Inc.; Highlights of the CAB Local Cable Sales Conference in Salt lake City; Details of the meeting between Ecore Media Group...
- Nets: Schwinner's Tough But Reasonable. Hogan, Monica // Multichannel News;5/6/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 18, p6
Reports the effect of the merger between EchoStar Communication Corp. with DirecTV Inc. on Dish Network in the U.S. Responsibility of programming executive Michael Schwimmer; Increase in the number of subscribers of the Dish Network company; Reduction on the subscription cost of EchoStar.
- Colorado Town Converts to Dish Network. Donohue, Steve // Multichannel News;7/19/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 29, p25
Reports on the marketing strategies implemented by EchoStar to switch paid television subscribers in Center, Colorado from cable to satellite. Sales performance of the company; Information on several cable companies in Colorado; Comment from Local RadioShack owner Stephanie Steffens.
- Street plugs into cable as EchoStar deal dies. Oppelaar, Justin // Daily Variety;10/14/2002, Vol. 277 Issue 6, p8
Reports the impact of the rejection on the merger of EchoStar and DirecTV by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission on cable industry. Enthusiasm of cable investors to the decision; Benefits of the rejection to the shares of cable operators; Increase of shares for the affected cable operators.
- The Importance of Being Earnest. Mundy, Alicia // Cable World (10427228);1/20/2003, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p12
Discusses the importance for cable operators of being earnest in lobbying before U.S. legislators. Reason for the failure of Charlie Egen in lobbying for the merger of EchoStar Communications and DirecTV; Tips on lobbying; Pitfall of selecting a lobby shop. INSET: WHO'S WHO AMONG D.C. LAWYERS...
- Cautious optimism. Anderson, Kathleen // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;11/18/2003, Vol. 381 Issue 18, p15
Embattled Cablevision Systems Corp. was the talk of the town again last week as its third quarter earnings reflected the general state of its recent foibles, as of November 18, 2003. Analysts remain mostly cautious on the Bethpage, New York-based cable operator, given current challenges. The...
- ECHO'S ERODING ORBIT. Amdur, Meredith // Daily Variety;6/15/2004, Vol. 283 Issue 50, p7
Focuses on the impact of the competition faced by EchoStar Communications from DirecTV Inc. on the subscription of cable television in the U.S. Need for the company to spend more to attract new customers; Move of investors to trade their stocks; Cost of the company in the acquisition of a new...
- DOJ thumbs its nose at DBS deal. // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;11/5/2002, Vol. 375 Issue 47, p99
Reports that the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and coalition of attorneys generals has asked a federal court in the District of Columbia to block the merger deal between cable television networks Echostar Inc. and DirecTV Inc. Reason behind the decision of DOJ to block the deal; Impact of...