Global warning from North East
- Global digest: Regulation. Bayer, Alex // Treasury & Risk Management;May/Jun97, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p19
Reports on the Spanish government's unveiling of reform proposals to spur domestic competition. Includes bringing forward the opening of the telecommunications sector; Expansion of the public tribunal overseeing the market.
- Upping the ante. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;5/3/1993, Vol. 138 Issue 18, p17
Describes the committee approved version of the National Competitiveness Act of 1993 which allocates $742 million to the Commerce Dept. and another $50 million to the National Science Foundation for manufacturing and technology programs. The full House must still act on the legislation.
- New report sets framework for competition. Bernier, Paula // Telephony;12/20/93, Vol. 225 Issue 25, p3
Reports on the Council on Competitiveness' policy framework intended to insure fair competition in the converging communications environment. Recommendations for policymakers and communication companies; Removal of the barriers to market entry; Establishment of price ceilings to protect...
- Need friends in high places? Duffy, M.; Thompson, D. // Time;11/4/1991, Vol. 138 Issue 18, p25
Describes the Council of Competitiveness, which is used by President George Bush and Vice President Dan Quayle as a sounding board for new regulations to make sure costs would not outweigh benefits. The council as referee when agencies (such as Environmental Protection Agency) and the White...
- Pox on Adam Smith. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;3/14/1994, Vol. 140 Issue 11, p25
Reports on the US Department of Commerce and an industry coalition's efforts for the passage of Senate's National Competitiveness Act. Bolstering of American backing of civilian technology and manufacturing; Foreign competitors' wrenching of market share from American companies.
- The IRS follies. Byron, C. // New York;8/7/89, Vol. 22 Issue 31, p11
Commentary: Argues that the recent hearings of the House of Representatives' Subcommittee on Commerce, Consumer, and Monetary Affairs presumed guilt rather than innocence and wrongfully interjected itself in a dispute between owners of Jordache Enterprises Inc., the Nakash brothers of New York,...
- My way. Samuel, Graeme // BRW;6/26/2003, Vol. 25 Issue 24, p36
Addresses the issue of the implementation of Australia's National Competition Policy. Provisions of the nation's legislation on competition; Government agencies responsible for overseeing competition; Economic benefits provided by the competition policy; Effect of the implementation of the...
- Increased competition very likely. Balch, Roger // Asian Business Review;Aug95, p10
Reports on the plans of the Indonesian government to increase company competition by introducing a law that would not allow companies with a 50 per cent industry share to expand further, according to Indonesian Investment Minister Sastrowardoyo. Announcement made during a parliamentary hearing.
- Competitiveness bill clears Senate. Miller, William H. // Industry Week/IW;4/4/94, Vol. 243 Issue 7, p73
Reports on the United States Senate's passage of the 1993 National Competitiveness Act along with Congress. Coverage of the bill.