A Pathway to Reading Success: Building Blocks for Literacy
- Arizona's Julie Yoder. Riechers, Maggie // Humanities;Jul/Aug2006, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p44
The article features Julie Yoder, executive director of the Arizona State Humanities Council. Before moving to Arizona in 1985, Yoder tried her hand at many occupations. She was a high school teacher and administrator in California, she worked for a time in publishing, and she worked in Europe...
- Urban commission sets focus areas. // Reading Today;Oct/Nov2003, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p15
Reports on the formation of the Urban Diversity Initiatives Commission by the International Reading Association in 2001 to help teachers in urban settings. Mission of the commission; Remarks from Bill Hammond, cochair of the commission, on the initiative; Areas of focus selected by the...
- Visions. Stewart, Paul // American Music Teacher;Aug/Sep2005, Vol. 55 Issue 1, p4
This article focuses on the goals of the Music Teachers National Association (MTNA) in the U.S. The dominant vision of the MTNA always will be to continue enhancing its mission to advance the value of music study and music making to society and to support the professionalism of music teachers....
- 'You Introduce All of the Alphabet...But I Do Not Think it Should be the Main Focus': Exploring Early Educators' Decisions about Reading Instruction. Friesen, Amber; Butera, Gretchen // Early Childhood Education Journal;Dec2012, Vol. 40 Issue 6, p361
Early reading development is a complex process that includes the acquisition of skills such as alphabet recognition, phonemic awareness, and vocabulary development. Early educators make important instructional decisions in their classrooms about how to support these skills. Understanding these...
- Improving literacy opens doors to young local readers. BYRNES, ERIN // Eastern Door;2/1/2013, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p16
The article focuses on the improvement of literacy among children through reading programs in Kahnawake, Province.
- GETTING BOOKS TO THOSE MOST IN NEED. // Publishers Weekly;11/4/2013, Vol. 260 Issue 44, special section p21
The article discusses the United Arab Emirates' (UAE's) Sharjah International Board on Book for Young People (IBBY) Fund, which was founded by the United Arab Emirates Board on Books for Young People (UAEBBY) with the IBBY Foundation in April 2012. Topics include the promotion of reading among...
- Breaking out of the Ghetto. L'Homme, Cristina // UNESCO Sources;Oct98, Issue 105, p20
Focuses on a non-formal project aimed at increasing literacy of marginalized mothers and children in Uruguay. Brainchild of the Institute for People's Education; Recipient of the Noma Literacy Prize from the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. INSET: Several...
- Third Sector. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;1/22/2001, Issue 322724, p6
Features the Literacy Interactive Foothill Team, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting literacy for foothill residents in Fresno, California. Literacy programs; Sponsors; Contact information.
- Jerusalem symposium draws 200 educators. Alon, Shlomo // Reading Today;Oct/Nov93, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p9
Features the Israel Reading Association's Jerusalem International Symposium on Encouraging Reading for 1993. Participants; Israel Reading Association president Shlomo Alon as chairman of the session `Didactic Approaches to Reading Encouragement'; Topics discussed; Speakers.