Mayor's budget cuts Philly's taxes
- American public education: The relevance of choice. Glazer, Nathan // Phi Delta Kappan;Apr93, Vol. 74 Issue 8, p647
Describes three of the key features of `transformative' choice, the kind of choice needed for largely minority central-city schools. Breakup of powerful central school bureaucracies that came into being at the turn of the century in large cities; Big city school bureaucracies themselves the...
- What Can Be Done for At-Risk Students. Cuban, Larry // Education Digest;May89, Vol. 54 Issue 9, p3
Discusses guidelines for principals and teachers on how to improve urban schools in the United States. Number of students in a class; Commitment of teachers; Flexibility of the program.
- Through students' eyes. Tice, Terrence N. // Education Digest;Feb1994, Vol. 59 Issue 6, p43
Looks at an article by Cynthia M. Ellwood, `Can We Really Look Through Our Students' Eyes? An Urban Teacher's Perspective,' in the Summer 1993 issue of `Educational Foundations.' Ellwood's current job; More.
- Where children come first. Lofland, Gretchen D. // Educational Leadership;Feb95, Vol. 52 Issue 5, p16
Features Washington D.C. inner city schools' efforts to sponsor meaningful, engaging activities to involve students, parents and community. `Books and Burgers Night,' debutante balls and country fairs; Drugs, violence and crime in inner cities; Participation of 53 Washington schools in the...
- Urban lessons learned. // Techniques: Making Education & Career Connections;Feb99, Vol. 74 Issue 2, p12
Features the report `Lessons Learned: Five Years in the Urban School Network.' Chronicle of the experiences of the Urban Schools Network; Sharing of ideas on the connections between academic and vocational education.
- Deindustrialization and urban schools: Some theoretical considerations. Bettis, Pamela J. // Urban Review;Jun94, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p75
Identifies the implications of deindustrialization to urban schools and the central city, as a whole. Mechanisms of deindustrialization; Effects of industrialization on the urban landscape; Parallelism in student identities and the changing social and political landscape.
- From the publisher. Richardson, Willie A. // National Minority Politics;Jan94, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p4
Focuses on the prospects for urban schools in the United States. Single most contributing factor to the deterioration of urban schools; Reason for the failure of reform efforts in the country; Need prepare for the challenges of school choice.
- There are success stories in urban schools. Ramey, Mike // National Minority Politics;Feb94, Vol. 6 Issue 2, p37
Focuses on the urban school system in the United States. Increasing violence in urban schools; Urban schools as seats of creativity, challenge and spirit; Negative social image of urban schools; Balanced coverage of education issues in urban districts.
- Urban report card. // Education Week;3/20/96, Vol. 15 Issue 26, p4
Presents evaluation ratings of urban schools in the United States by members of the Council of Great City Schools.