- 5 TOP SPOTS FOR NORTHERN PIKE ICEFISHING. Mason, Chad // Outdoor Life;Feb2006, Vol. 213 Issue 2, p63
The article provides information on the top five spots for pike ice fishing across the U.S. It includes North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin and South Dakota. It mentions the choice of baits for each location.
- Is icefishing too bountiful? Cochran, Rod // Outdoor Life;Feb99, Vol. 203 Issue 1, p95
Reports on a study which provides some clues to the question whether icefishing in New York state is too bountiful. Details on the study; Statistics on pike fishing; Harvest and catch rate for figures yellow perch; Impact of icefishermen on fisheries.
- Devils Lake Enjoying Good Winter Bite. Kalkofin, Jim // Dakota Country;Feb/Mar2012, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p71
The article reports on ice fishing conditions at Devil's Lake, North Dakota for 2012. Fishing guide Jason Feldner indicated that the walleye fishing is the best in the past seven years, and pike and perch numbers have also risen. Feldner's website www.percheyes.com, as well as the Devils Lake...
- Underwater Spearing Coming to SD. Blackwell, Brian // Dakota Country;Jan2013, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p18
The article discusses government policies regarding darkhouse spearing of northern pike, an ice fishing technique, in South Dakota in 2013. Muskellunge fishing, fishing license requirements, and pike populations are discussed, as well as research conducted by biologist Rodney Pierce from the...
- Pike & Muskies. // Complete Guide to Freshwater Fishing;2002, p200
The article focuses on pike and muskellunge fishing and presents information on behavior of pikes and muskellunges. It suggests how anglers can locate pikes and muskellunges in natural and man-made fresh waterbodies. The article offers several suggestions on equipments used for pike and...
- Simple Icefishing Rigs. Ruzzo, Brian // Outdoor Life;Dec2007/Jan2008, Vol. 214 Issue 11, p28
The article presents information on ice fishing rigs appropriate for five popular species of fish. The tip-up rig with a large sucker as standard bait is appropriate in fishing for pike fishes. Brightly colored jigs lowered near the bottom of a lake or river with a minnow as bait can attract...
- Finding 'em Under the Ice. Genz, Dave // Dakota Country;Nov2010, Vol. 31 Issue 11, p58
This article reports on winter ice fishing and how fishermen select the best lakes to find fish. The article discusses oxygen levels and early ice in lakes and how bigger lakes are better for late-season fishing. Information is provided on ice houses and locating fish including walleye, northern...
- The secrets of giant pike. Huggler, J. // Outdoor Life;May88, Vol. 181 Issue 4, p86
The pike is a huge predator that possesses a legendary ability to instill fear in fish and fisherman. As vicious as its appearance, the giant northern pike provides more excitement than any other freshwater gamefish that swims.
- Walleyes in wading. Murray, J. // Outdoor Life;May88, Vol. 181 Issue 4, p82
Come spring, the most effective approach to walleyes is often made from shore. And fishermen who know proper technique are often waist-deep in fish.