At the Water's Edge
- Cleaner waters pay off in better fishing. Smith, Libby; Stegemann, Eileen // New York State Conservationist;Jun96, Vol. 50 Issue 6, p37
Discusses the cleanup of New York States' lakes and streams. Value of state money spent for funding wastewater treatment since the 1970s; Limits of discharges to surface and groundwater set by the State Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (SPDES); How polluted water in the Cattaraugus Creek...
- New York State, a world capital. // Westchester County Business Journal;03/26/2001, Vol. 40 Issue 13, p26
Presents information on geographical features of New York. Area covered by the state; Rivers flowing through the state; Fresh water lakes in the state.
- Get Wet. Amoroso, Christina; Coreno, Catherine; Milchman, Kari; Reeves, Kathleen // New York;6/30/2008, p48
The article reviews the best beaches, creeks, lakes, swimming holes, and rivers within two hours of midtown Manhattan in New York City. Places reviewed include Rockland State Park, Lake Welch Beach at Harriman State Park, Lake Sebago and Lake Tiorati Beaches at Harriman State Park, Greenwood...
- The Greening of Buffalo. BURANEN, MARGARET // Stormwater;Oct2014, Vol. 15 Issue 7, p20
The article discusses the green infrastructure setup in Buffalo, New York that helps clean up the city's impaired waterways, like the Hoyt Lake and Scajaquada Creek. Green projects cited are the Mutual Riverfront Park, a waterfront park that has rain gardens that manage the storm runoff, the...
- SNAPSHOT:. // American City & County;Jun2010, Vol. 125 Issue 6, p32
A photograph of a resident in Orleans County, New York wearing a Santa Claus costume dropping a line on the Oak Orchard River is presented.
- Healing waters. Lonberger, William // Backpacker;Jun96, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p127
Presents the author's journal entries during his annual trips to a tiny lake in New York's Adirondack Mountains. Invigoration which the trips provide to the author; Coming back to the lake with his wife and son; Journal entries in 1976, 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1993.
- Species-introduction failure. // Field & Stream;Oct84, Vol. 88 Issue 10, p19
Attempts by the US Fish Commission and sport fishermen to improve Tuxedo Lake in New York State by introducing non-native species was a failure. It can teach us the lesson that tampering with nature is opening a Pandora's Box of unforeseeable results, and that the impulse to remake nature,...
- Long Lake. Jemmott, Janet M.; Farb, Nathan // Cortlandt Forum;2/25/96, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p177
Presents a photograph of Long Lake in Hamilton County, New York.
- Getaway. Mycek, Shari // InStyle;Nov2003, Vol. 10 Issue 12, p426
Presents a brief information about Saranac Lake in New York City.