State Takeover Seen for Cash-Short District in Calif
- K.C. chief suspended over expenses and leave. Schmidt, Peter // Education Week;2/15/95, Vol. 14 Issue 21, p5
Reports on the Kansas City, Missouri, school board's suspension of Superintendent Walter L. Marks after questioning his travel expenses and medical leave. Case background; School board's allegations; Marks' defense; Previous troubles concerning Marks.
- Ex-Richmond Chief Has Left Long Trail Of Fiscal Questions. Schmidt, Peter; Bradley, Ann // Education Week;5/22/1991, Vol. 10 Issue 35, p1
The article reports that Walter L. Marks will be the new superintendent of public schools in Kansas City, Missouri. Marks's career illustrates the difficulty, which is faced by the school boards in overseeing the administration of educational reforms, particularly in his experience in Richmond,...
- Management practices: A profile of district-level supervisory activity in one school district. Fitzgerald, John H. // Journal of Curriculum & Supervision;Winter93, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p128
Presents a case study involving the management practices of district supervisors in Pasco County, Florida. Organizational plans; Transforming work culture to reflect a collaborative ideology; Engaging in resource management and problem solving.
- School board should seriously consider internal candidates. Rupkalvis, David // Graham Leader;10/23/2011, Vol. 136 Issue 20, p2A
In this article, the author argues that school board in Graham, Young County, Texas should seriously consider internal candidates for the position of school superintendent.
- What's Right About the Superintendency? Sharp, William L.; Malone, Bobby G.; Walter, James K. // School Administrator;Dec2002, Vol. 59 Issue 11, p40
Presents a survey of superintendents in Indiana, Illinois and Texas that aimed to find out what is right about the superintendency. Factors that motivate superintendents to pursue the position as a career; Percentage of the respondents who said that they would choose the position again for...
- Pooling our resources. Tingley, Suzanne // Education Week;10/30/96, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p48
Opinion. Makes observations concerning the lack of qualified candidates seeking administrative positions in the school organization. Increasing trend toward retirement among administrators and school superintendents; Factors that make administration and superintendency unappealing to...
- THE SUPERINTENDENT AND THE SEVEN DWARFS. Lehman, Kirby A. // Education;Fall81, Vol. 102 Issue 1, p13
In many school districts across the nation, the superintendent's role in professional negotiations is often critical. In fact, many superintendents remain absent from the negotiations table. Sometimes, however, superintendents enter the negotiations arena with purely ego motivation. When this...
- A Personal Touch for Staying Connected. Sklarz, David P. // School Administrator;Nov2009, Vol. 66 Issue 10, p40
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of how, as a school superintendent, he stays connected with the students and teachers in his school district.
- Detroit School Board Splits Over Superintendent Choice. Gewertz, Catherine // Education Week;01/26/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 20, p5
Reports on the tension that has occurred in the Detroit, Michigan school board after it has deadlocked over its two finalists for the position of school superintendent. Candidates for the position; Reason behind the tension.