Poverty in America: The Poor are Getting Poorer
- The double whammy of poverty and unemployed. Malveaux, Julianne // Charlotte Post;9/20/2012, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p4A
The author reflects on the state of unemployment and poverty among African Americans to highlight the pain being experienced by the African American community.
- New Statistical Barometers of Poverty. Stambler, Howard V. // Management Review;Jun69, Vol. 58 Issue 6, p7
Reports on key issues and developments relevant to the statistical barometers of poverty in the U.S. compiled as of June 1969. Design of data and research programs to provide statistics on poverty; Severity of poverty and the incidence of unemployment; Components of the subemployment index;...
- Diabetes and the socioeconomic and built environment: geovisualization of disease prevalence and potential contextual associations using ring maps. Stewart, John E.; Battersby, Sarah E.; Fede, Ana Lopez-De; Remington, Kevin C.; Hardin, James W.; Mayfield-Smith, Kathy // International Journal of Health Geographics;2011, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p18
Background: Efforts to stem the diabetes epidemic in the United States and other countries must take into account a complex array of individual, social, economic, and built environmental factors. Increasingly, scientists use information visualization tools to "make sense" of large multivariate...
- U.S. Doesn't Care about Poor People. Malveaux, Julianne // Washington Informer;9/26/2013, Vol. 48 Issue 50, p29
In the article, the author discusses the information released by the U.S. Census Bureau, on September 17, 2013 which states that the poverty rate in the African American community is more than 27 percent and the over all poverty rate in the U.S. is more than 15 percent.
- Super singles. // Ebony;Aug1996, Vol. 51 Issue 10, p68
Features several single Afro-American women . Tyra Banks; Bertice Berry; Gloria Reuben; Theresa Randle; Leanane Lyons; Garcelle Beauvais; Elysa Smith; Denise Anthea Armstrong; Patricia Jenkins; Tanya Saunders; Rhoda Henderson; LaNala Barksdale; Noella Christine Crayton; Yvette Randle; Inis...
- to me with love. White, E. Diane // Essence (Time Inc.);Feb2003, Vol. 33 Issue 10, p141
Presents an article describing the experiences of an Afro-American single woman. Details on her past romantic relationships; Criteria for choosing a male partner; Views on motherhood; Lessons in life learned from the experiences.
- Color of Love. Andrews, Helena // Marie Claire (US Edition);Jun2010, Vol. 17 Issue 6, p79
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of how her friend and mother tried to find a African American boyfriend for her.
- Addressing the Developmental Needs of Urban, African-American Youth: A Preventive Intervention. D'Andrea, Michael // Journal of Multicultural Counseling & Development;Jan95, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p57
The article describes the design and implementation of a multiservice, community-based intervention aimed at promoting the personal and career development of urban, African-American youth. Close scrutiny of the results of national surveys pertaining to educational attainment unemployment and...
- MEASURING PROGRESS. Lewis, Latif; Benet, Siobhan // Black Enterprise;Dec2003, Vol. 34 Issue 5, p30
Presents facts and figures on the economic progress among African American population from 1960s to 2003. Significant events in the 1960s; Decline in the African American poverty rate from 1965 to 1970; Unemployment rate in 1980; Impact of the depressed economy on the unemployment line as of...