DirecTV Opts for a Leasing Model
- Additional subs pump up DirecTV. GOLDSMITH, JILL // Daily Variety;2/8/2007, Vol. 294 Issue 30, p5
The article discusses the fourth quarter earnings report of DirecTV, a satellite broadcaster in the U.S. It says net profit was $365 million, and revenue increased by 16%. Profits rose as DirecTV increased the number of subscribers and started leasing set-top boxes. The article says that DirecTV...
- POLL: DVR GROWTH TO TOP HDTV, VOD. Swann, Phillip // Television Week;4/28/2003, Vol. 22 Issue 17, p17
Presents the results of a survey on the views of executives on four television technologies in the U.S. as of April 2003. Digital video recorder; High definition television; Video-on-demand; Interactive television.
- TV TECHNOLOGY RACE: WHO'S WINNING? Swan, Phillip // Television Week;1/26/2004, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p27
Features the biggest winner and loser in each of the four major television technology categories in the U.S. as of January 2004. Video-on-demand; High-definition television; Interactive television; Digital video recorders.
- STB Market Projected to Grow at 2.1 Percent CAGR to 2018. // Broadcast & CableSat;4/29/2016, p1
The article reports the increase in sales of set-top-boxes in the global market due to the availability of HD (high-definition) channels and smart televisions (TV).
- Retailers Seek To Sell HDTV 'Sizzle.'. Tarr, Greg // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;6/16/2008, Vol. 23 Issue 13, p4
The article reports on the challenge faced by consumer electronics (CE) retailers in the U.S. in selling the high-definition television (HDTV) experience to keep consumers interested in making an upgrade to a digital set. Retailers at the DisplaySearch TV Supply Chain Conference have seen a...
- HD ready -- or not? Parnham, Peter // Onfilm;Jun2008, Vol. 25 Issue 6, p6
The author reflects on his experience of buying a high-definition (HD) ready television set. He notes his misconception that an HD ready television would enable him to tune into HD programs. He relates that he will need to buy an HD set top box if he wants to see free-to-air HD broadcasts. The...
- Nielsen to Rope 'Net TVs Into Ratings. SPANGLER, TODD // Multichannel News;2/25/2013, Vol. 34 Issue 8, p4
The article offers information on television (TV) households that include homes with broadband connected televisions. It states that the TV households include TV-connected devices like smart HDTV (high-definition TV), Xbox video games and set-top box and does not include iPads or computers. It...
- interactivity. Cohen, Ovadia // Broadcast Engineering;Dec2000, Vol. 42 Issue 14, p77
Deals with the prospects of digital entertainment technologies in the United States (U.S.). Critique on the level of acceptance or penetration by high definition television and interactive television (iTV) technologies in the U.S.; Factors for the increasing demand for digital broadcast...
- Inside iTV: Why We Still Need EBIF. Dudar, Ellen // Communications Technology;Aug2010, Vol. 27 Issue 8, p6
The article focuses on the increasing requirement of Enhanced TV Binary Interchange Format (EBIF) that fueled industry-wide alignment in delivering advanced services across the television industry. As stated, CableLabs created the EBIF spec to define the signaling mechanisms, messaging...