Prevalence of lower-extremity amputation among patients with diabetes mellitus: Is height a factor?
- Screening for diabetes in lower limb amputees: a pilot study. Treweek, S.P.; Condie, M.E.; Gilmour, D.G. // Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh;Apr98, Vol. 43 Issue 2, p93
Reports on the commitment of the British government to reduce amputations due to complications of diabetes mellitus, as a signatory of the Saint Vincent Declaration. Establishment of the incidence of diabetic complications; Implementation of a screening program for patients at risk for lower...
- Who is at risk of limb loss and what to do about it? Reiber, Gayle E. // Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development;Nov94, Vol. 31 Issue 4, p357
Focuses on the risks and preventive measures of lower limb loss related to diabetes in the United States. Identification of pathophysical factors leading to amputation; Components of causal pathway methodology; Availability of therapeutic footwear.
- Laterality of lower limb amputation in diabetic patients: Retrospective audit. Coxon, Jonathan P; Gallen, Ian W // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);02/06/99, Vol. 318 Issue 7180, p367
Reports on a retrospective audit after observing the incidence of lower right limb amputations in diabetic patients who attended hospital. Details from the database of the Children Diabetes Centre in Great Britain; Comments regarding the issue.
- The 10-g Monofilament. Armstrong, David G. // Diabetes Care;Jul2000, Vol. 23 Issue 7, p887
Editorial. Provides information on the 10-g monofilament, a medical device for detecting diabetic foot ulceration. Description of the device; Study initiated by the United States Department of Health and Human Services; Implication of the study.
- Reduction in Diabetic Amputations Over 11 Years in a Defined U.K. Population. Krishnan, Singhan; Nash, Fiona; Baker, Neil; Fowler, Duncan; Rayman, Gerry // Diabetes Care;Jan2008, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p99
OBJECTIVE -- To assess changes in diabetic lower-extremity amputation rates in a defined relatively static population over an 11-year period following the introduction of a multidisciplinary foot team. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS -- All diabetic patients with foot problems admitted to Ipswich...
- Abstracts of recent literature. Edelstein, Joan; Schein, Jerome D. // Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development;Apr96, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p200
Presents an abstract of the article, `Identifying Patients with Diabetes Mellitus Who are of Risk for Lower-Extremity Complications: Use of Semmens-Weinstein Monofilaments,' by M.J. Mueller, published in the 1996 issue of `Physical Therapy'.
- Lower Extremity Amputation Episodes Among Persons with Diabetes--New Mexico, 2000. // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;1/31/2003, Vol. 52 Issue 4, p66
Analyzes the cases of lower extremity amputation (LEA) among persons with diabetes in New Mexico in 2002. Categories of LEA; Causes of LEA; Comparison on the incidence of LEA between men and women.
- How to predict and prevent amputations in diabetics. // Modern Medicine;Aug94, Vol. 62 Issue 8, p48
Presents an abstract of the article `Risk factors for lower extremity amputation in persons with diabetes,' by J.V. Selby and D. Zhang, published in `Diabetes Care' journal in April 1995.
- Comment on Hoffstad et al. Diabetes, Lower-Extremity Amputation, and Death. Diabetes Care 2015;38:1852-1857. van Netten, Jaap J.; Fortington, Lauren V.; Hinchliffe, Robert J. // Diabetes Care;Feb2016, Vol. 39 Issue 2, pe26
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Diabetes, Lower-Extremity Amputation and Death" by O. Hoffstad and colleagues published in the journal in 2015.