Lighten Up: Ford's Move to Aluminum & Magnesium
- Examining Alternatives. Vasilash, Gary S. // Automotive Manufacturing & Production;Jan2001, Vol. 113 Issue 1, p28
Profiles Marcel Van Schaik, manager of Advanced Materials Technology with the Automotive Applications staff of the American Iron and Steel Institute. Information on his study on the application of aluminum in the automobile industry; His examination of the Audi A2 automobile; Educational and...
- Titanium takes to the road. Kuster, Kurt A. // American Machinist;Oct2000, Vol. 144 Issue 10, p84
No abstract available.
- Advanced ceramics. Gottschalk, Mark A. // Design News;12/5/94, Vol. 50 Issue 23, p54
Reports on the application of ceramic material in the automobile industry. Ceramic composites; Water-pump seals; Traditional vermiculite-based insulation.
- A crust you can trust. Hargreaves, Ben // Engineer (00137758);10/10/2003, Vol. 292 Issue 7637, p49
No abstract available.
- Cars using more plastics? White, Liz // Urethanes Technology;Apr/May2001, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p32
Focuses on issues about the use of plastics in the automotive industry. Views of automobile materials specifiers on plastic; Influence of plastic on automobile design.
- Materials 2000. Wrigley, Al // Automotive Industries;Oct99, Vol. 179 Issue 10, p47
Looks at some of the innovative uses of materials used in the design and construction of automobiles. Fondness of automakers in North America for aluminum; Innovative and expanding applications for magnesium in automobile parts; Growth of non-metallic materials in automotive making; Forecast...
- And a lighter note... Keenan, Tim; McCann, Hugh // Ward's Auto World;Sep95, Vol. 31 Issue 9, p38
Features the use of aluminum and magnesium in the 1996 automobile models to save weight and due to technology advancement in both materials. Consumer demand for safer, lighter, more efficient and environmentally friendly vehicle; Use of aluminum by Ford Motors Co., General Motors and Chrysler...
- Weldability of Aluminum Alloys with High-Power Diode Laser. Sánchez-Amaya, J. M.; Boukha, Z.; Amaya-Vázquez, M. R.; Botana, F. J. // Welding Journal;May2012, Vol. 91 Issue 5, p155:s
In the present work, a high-power diode laser has been employed to weld six aluminum alloys (1050, 2017, 2024, 5083, 6082, and 7075) under conduction regime. Controlling the experimental variables, butt joints with higher penetration than those previously reported in the literature for this...
- Laser Soldering and Laser Droplet Joining for Mechanical and Electrical Contacting of LTCC/PZT Laminates. Albert, Florian; Pfeiffer, Carolin; Schmidt, Michael; Geiger, Manfred; Flössel, Markus; Michaelis, Alexander // Journal of Laser Micro / Nanoengineering;2011, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p75
Present research in the field of active noise reduction for automotive components deals with piezoelectric laminates embedded into parts like aluminium gear boxes, car bodies or clutch housings fabricated by die casting or forced-locked insertion. Under closed loop operation, these parts are...