DirecTV's Pre-Emptive Strike
- Deals. // CableFAX Daily;9/30/2005, Vol. 16 Issue 190, p2
The article reports on deals in the cable television industry as of September 30, 2005. DirecTV closed a deal that will bring channels of XM Satellite Radio to subscribers beginning November 15, 2005. WPT was disappointed when a cable network withdrew its offer to acquire the television series...
- Carriage. // CableFAX Daily;9/29/2005, Vol. 16 Issue 189, p1
The article presents news briefs concerning cable television broadcasting as of September 2005. Comcast will add AZN to its channel line-up in the Washington D.C. metro area by the end of September 2005. The Ultimate Shopping Network has expanded its broadcast to 24 hours daily on DirectTV.
- Feds declare Tucson suburb part of Phoenix. Hatfield, David // Inside Tucson Business;5/8/2006, Vol. 15 Issue 48, p3
The article discusses the problems of satellite subscribers in view of a proposal suggesting SaddleBrooke, a Tucson suburb, to be considered as the part of Phoenix, Arizona. It is noted that DirecTV Inc. is demarcating the local cable television markets using the boundaries defined by the...
- LOOK, UP IN THE SKY, IT'S ANOTHER SUPER DISAPPOINTMENT. Shales, Tom // Television Week;1/10/2005, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p69
Presents an article expressing views on DirecTV Inc. Difficulty faced by customers in registering for the television cable; Deterioration of the system of DirecTV; Refusal to renew the contract of Trio.
- RSN Deals. // CableFAX Daily;4/3/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 63, p2
Reports on the renewal of the deal between RCN and YES cable networks. Terms of the deal; Information on the carriage deal between SportsTime OH and DISH Network.
- VOD Startup Eyes Cable Deals. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;4/19/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 16, p17
Reports on the deals considered by Akimbo with cable companies. Reason for the decision of Akimbo to seek deals with cable companies despite the fact it does not need cable affiliates; Companies that formed Akimbo; Content partners of Akimbo; Efforts made by the company to protect content...
- Cable's big May pitch: integration. Klaassen, Abbey // Advertising Age;4/24/2006, Vol. 77 Issue 17, p4
Reports on the efforts of cable television networks in the U.S. to acquire multi-platform deals. Integrated deals of MTV Networks with several networks including Nickelodeon and Comedy Central; Comments from Sue Danaher, executive VP of advertising sales at MTV Networks; Concerns of cable...
- Local Blackouts Irk 'Sunday Ticket' Holders. Umstead, R. Thomas // Multichannel News;9/22/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 38, p16
Discusses criticism from subscribers against the out-of-market game-blackout provisions implemented by DirecTV Inc. for the coverage of the National Football League (NFL) Sunday-afternoon games in the U.S. Agreement of DirecTV with the NFL regarding the coverage of games; Pricing scheme for...
- Cable pact for Fox News. LEARMONTH, MICHAEL // Daily Variety;12/1/2006, Vol. 293 Issue 44, p32
The article reports the deal between Fox News Channel (FNC) and National Cable Television Cooperative, a consortium of rural cable operators. Details related to this deal, while making a special mention of the efforts to renew old contracts by FNC are presented in the article. The article also...