Fulminant infection with emphysematous changes in the biliary tract and air-filled liver abscesses
- Editorial Commentary: Asymptomatic Bacteriuria–Shift of Paradigm. Wagenlehner, Florian M. E.; Naber, Kurt G. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;Sep2012, Vol. 55 Issue 6, p778
The author reflects on a study related to the relationship of asymptomatic bacteriuria (ABU) and pyelonephritis in individuals with diabetes mellitus, pregnancy and obstructive uropathy. He adds that the relationship assumption was confirmed by the observation that in pregnancy, elimination of...
- Emphysematous Pyelonephritis: A Case Report. Salati, Sajad Ahmad // Journal of Pioneering Medical Sciences;Oct-Dec2014, Vol. 4 Issue 4, p174
Emphysematous pyelonephritis is a rare but serious bacterial infection of renal parenchyma and perirenal tissue characterized by gas formation. This article presents the report of a 63-year-old diabetic male in whom the disease was detected promptly and managed conservatively.
- pyelonephritis. // Royal Society of Medicine: Medicines;2002, p462
This article focuses on pyelonephritis, a drug for the inflammation of the kidney due to bacterial infection. Treatment of the acute form is usually with drugs.
- Pyogenic Liver Abscess as Endemic Disease, Taiwan. Feng-Chiao Tsai; Yu-Tsung Huang; Luan-Yin Chang; Jin-Town Wang // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Oct2008, Vol. 14 Issue 10, p1592
Pyogenic liver abscess has become a health problem in Taiwanese society. However, the extent of this problem has remained unclear because of the lack of a population-based study. We therefore performed a nationwide analysis of pyogenic liver abscess in Taiwan from 1996 through 2004. We analyzed...
- A Case of Giant Hepatic Hydatid Cyst Infected with Morganella morganii and the Literature Review. Hakyemez, Ismail Necati; Sit, Mustafa; Aktas, Gulali; Tas, Tekin; Mengeloglu, Fırat Zafer; Kucukbayrak, Abdulkadir // Case Reports in Gastrointestinal Medicine;2012, p1
Hydatid cyst disease is a common worldwide zoonosis. Most of the cysts are located in the liver. Abscess formation due to infection of the cyst is an important complication. M. morganii, a Gram-negative Bacillus, is a quite rare cause of liver abscess. A 77-year-old woman was admitted to...
- Gut reactions in an off-key music producer. Korsten, Mark A.; Hussain, Khozema B. // Cortlandt Forum;01/25/99, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p169
Presents the case of a patient diagnosed with pyogenic liver abscesses. Etiology; Scanning techniques; Medical approach; Improved surgical strategies; Prognosis.
- Infection and chronic allograft dysfunction. Dupont, Peter J.; Manuel, Oriol; Pascual, Manuel // Kidney International Supplement;Dec2010 Supplement 119, Vol. 78, pS47
With the advent of more potent immunosuppressive regimens, the incidence of acute rejection following renal transplantation has declined sharply in recent years. In spite of this, long-term graft outcomes remain suboptimal because of relentless attrition by cumulated insults to the allograft. As...
- pyelonephritis. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1947
An encyclopedia for "pyelonephritis" is presented. Pyelonephritis is described as the inflammation of the kidney and renal pelvis, commonly caused by bacterial infection. Another term for it is acute infective tubulointestintal nephritis. Symptoms include sudden chills and fever, dull pain in...
- pyelonephritis. Peters, Michael // BMA A-Z Family Medical Encyclopedia;2004, p641
An encyclopedia entry for "pyelonephritis" is presented. It refers to a condition characterized by an inflammation of the kidney due to bacterial infection. It is most likely to occur during pregnancy and symptoms include a high fever, chills and back pain. Antibiotics can treat the condition...