- Recent & relevant. Wilkins, Sharron E. // American Visions;Oct/Nov95, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p37
Reviews books by Afro-American authors. Includes `Essence: 25 Years Celebrating Black Women,' edited by Patricia M. Hinds; `Fist Stick Knife Gun: A Personal History of Violence in America,' by Geoffrey Canada; `Jump Up and Say! A Collection of Black Storytelling,' by Linda and Clay Goss; `A...
- Answer jazz's call: Experiencing Toni Morrison's Jazz. Lesoinne, Veronique // MELUS;Fall97, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p151
Provides information on African American literature with reference to Toni Morrison's novel entitled `Jazz.' Theme of the novel; Responses evoked from the title of the novel; Characterization of polyrhythmic music.
- Holiday Treats. Morris, Denita Bryant // Heart & Soul;Dec2000/Jan2001, Vol. 7 Issue 6, p90
Reviews different books authored by Afro-Americans.
- Chesnutt: Stories, Novels, and Essays [book]. Richards, Phillip M. // Commentary;Sep2002, Vol. 114 Issue 2, p70
Reviews the book 'Chesnutt: Stories, Novels, and Essays,' edited by Werner Sollors.
- From Bad Breaks to Boons: D.C.'s Sisterspace plans a comeback and other tales of black survival. Osborne, Gwendolyn E. // Black Issues Book Review;Nov2004, Vol. 6 Issue 6, p36
The article looks at the state of black-owned bookstores in the U.S. in 2004. On the evening of July 28, a standing-room only crowd gathered at Sisterspace and Books in Washington, D.C. for a book signing. The group had come to hear Mindy Thompson Fullilove discuss a subject many in the audience...
- Ebony bookshelf. // Ebony;Sep1994, Vol. 49 Issue 11, p22
Cites several books by Afro-American authors in the United States. `The Rainbow People of God: The Making of a Peaceful Revolution,' by Desmond Tutu; `And Do Remember Me,' by Marita Golden; `Confronting Authority: Reflections of an Ardent Protester,' by Derrick Bell; `The Shadow of the Panther:...
- Hip Hop: Preserving History. Henry, Tamara // Heart & Soul;May2001, Vol. 8 Issue 4, p79
Features several books by and/or for African Americans.
- The Pleasures of Sista girl fiction. Millner, Denene // Black Issues Book Review;Jul/Aug99, Vol. 1 Issue 4, p24
Focuses on the strong sales of contemporary Afro-American women's fiction. Comments from Chris Coleman on Terry McMillan's `Waiting to Exhale'; Factor that drives the market; How Kelli Martin, an editorial assistant at William Morrow Publishing Inc., finds herself tearing through contemporary...
- opening lines. Bass, Patrik Henry // Essence (Essence);Dec2001, Vol. 32 Issue 8, p84
Provides information on the Afro-American book 'The Harris Family,' by R.M. Johnson.