Low Expressive Vocabulary: Higher Heritability as a Function of More Severe Cases
- Emerging Phonological Awareness Differentiates Children with and without Familial Risk for Dyslexia after Controlling for General Language Skills. Puolakanaho, Anne; Poikkeus, Anna-Maija; Ahonen, Timo; Tolvanen, Asko; Lyytinen, Heikki // Annals of Dyslexia;2004, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p221
Emerging phonological awareness was compared in two groups of 3.5- year-old children belonging to the JyvÃ¤skylÃ¤ Longitudinal Study of Dyslexia (JLD): children with familial risk of dyslexia (at-risk group n = 98) and children without such risk (control group n = 91). Four computer animated...
- Functional Communication Measures (FCMs) Monitor Patient Progress. Mullen, Rob // ASHA Leader;05/23/2000, Vol. 5 Issue 10, p13
Provides graphs, revealing that most patients ranged between functional communication measure levels 1 and 4, had progressed to level 5, 6 or 7.
- Finding the Right Tool for the Job. Caswell, Ellen // ASHA Leader;04/17/2001, Vol. 6 Issue 7, p13
Presents information on a study by Jennifer Windsor, et al that examined general slowing in language impairment. What the hierarchical linear modeling analysis found; Major contribution of the paper.
- Vocabulary Problems Inherent in Basal Readers. Olson, Arthur V. // Education;Feb1966, Vol. 86 Issue 6, p350
This article suggests that the wide-spread practice of using co-basal readers to enrich and supplement learning may do more harm than good because of the great differences in vocabulary which exist. The practice of using a co-basal series is not bad within itself, but it needs to be seriously...
- Syntactic Complexity in Written Expression of LD College Writers. Vogel, Susan A. // Annals of Dyslexia;1985, Vol. 35, p137
Thirty-three college students enrolled in a special LD program at a small liberal arts college were compared with thirty-three non-LD peers in the syntactic complexity of their writing when asked to write an expository essay on an assigned topic within a 30-minute time limit. The essays after...
- WORD workout. // Scholastic News -- Edition 5/6;10/1/2007, Vol. 76 Issue 4, p8
A quiz on vocabularies is presented.
- WORD WORKOUT. // Scholastic Action;1/15/2007, Vol. 30 Issue 8, p7
The article presents a classroom exercise on vocabulary.
- Word Power. // Weekly Reader News - Senior;3/12/2010, Vol. 88 Issue 19, p8
A quiz about word meanings is presented.
- WHICH WORD WORKS. // Current Events;12/12/2011, Vol. 111 Issue 10, p8
The article presents several multiple-choice questions and answer on the correct replacement of words including habitable, teems and amassing.