Maybe Efficiency Isn't a Good Thingï¿½
- Considering a new tax system. Gale, William // Quill;Oct95, Vol. 83 Issue 8, p35
Presents background and economic perspectives for analyzing proposals to reform the national tax system. Definition of consumption tax; National retail sales tax; Value added tax; Flat tax; Unlimited saving account tax; Economic efficiency and growth.
- What the economy needs is simpler taxes. Murphy, Cait // Fortune;11/15/2004, Vol. 150 Issue 10, p76
The author comments on the corporate tax bill, the American Jobs Creation Act of 2004. It's a wholesale rejection of the kind of straightforward tax code both political parties say they want. Congress used the opportunity to dole out corporate tax breaks for 200,000 "manufacturers"--a term...
- Simple, efficient, fair. Or is it? Gale, William G. // Brookings Review;Summer98, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p40
Deals with the United States tax system. Information on flat tax; Political and economic dilemmas in tax reform; Tax deductions; Budget implications of various policy changes to the pure flat tax structure; Flat tax and economic growth; Requirements of a good tax reform.
- Flat taxes and fair taxes. // Christian Science Monitor;1/29/96, Vol. 88 Issue 43, p20
States that tax reform would be an issue in the 1996 Republican presidential contest. How Steve Forbes has pushed himself into second place with his flat-tax idea; Endorsing of a single-rate tax by former housing secretary Jack Kemp; Illusion of existing tax rates supposing to be progressive;...
- The sad saga of Sally and Sam...the names are fictional but the problems are all too real. Arnesen, Deborah `Arnie' // New Hampshire Business Review;9/1/95, Vol. 17 Issue 18, p10
Comments on the Flat Tax Plan proposed by Republican Congressman Dick Armey which would make mortgage interest payments and property taxes no longer allowable deductions. Effect of the loss of these deductions to homeowners.
- Even money. Foster, J. D. // Policy Review;Summer95, Issue 73, p24
Presents a critique of flat tax. Flat tax as a vanguard of tax reform in the United States; Definition of flat tax; Economic benefits from flat tax; Tax-burdens from this approach; Effect on charitable contributions; tax receipts, health care reform; Transition issues. INSET: Taking on the...
- Tax reform `hysteria'. // Westchester County Business Journal;5/22/95, Vol. 34 Issue 21, p9
Reports on `Municipal Bond Observer' editor Joe Mysak's views about municipal bond investors' hysteria over tax reform and the possibility of a flat tax.
- Tax forms could fit on postcards. Hall, Robert E.; Rabushka, Alvin // Consumers' Research Magazine;Apr95, Vol. 78 Issue 4, p23
Presents various information concerning the income taxation system in the United States. Description of the computation for income tax; Application of flat tax on both businesses and individuals; Description of the proposed income taxation system; Equality of tax rates; Emphasis on the taxes on...
- Some opposing concerns... Eisner, Robert // Consumers' Research Magazine;Apr95, Vol. 78 Issue 4, p26
Presents the problems associated with the implementation of the proposed flat-rate income tax systems in the United States. Objectionable features of the flat-rate income tax system; Includes the effect of the income tax system on the prices of commodities; Impact of the elimination of tax...