- Too Stoned to Drive? Sullum, Jacob // Reason;Nov2013, Vol. 45 Issue 6, p32
The article presents information on the new law for driving under the influence of a drug (DUID) set in Colorado. It mentions a case report in which a man, who consumed marijuana more than the DUID standard set by the government, drived well. His driving did not seem a threat for others....
- Alcohol, Fatigue and What Almost Was. TODD, TERRY L. // Wingman;Summer2010, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p24
The author emphasizes the dangers associated with driving under the influence of alcohol while fatigued and shares the experience of her husband who wrecked his truck due to his decision to drive home after a night of drinking.
- Effect of Community-Based Interventions on High-Risk Drinking and Alcohol-Related Injuries. Holder, Harold D.; Gruenewald, Paul J.; Ponicki, William R.; Treno, Andrew J.; Grube, Joel W.; Saltz, Robert F.; Voas, Robert B.; Reynolds, Robert; Davis, Johnetta; Sanchez, Linda; Gaumont, George; Roeper, Peter // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;11/8/200, Vol. 284 Issue 18, p2341
Presents a study to determine the effect of community-based environmental interventions in reducing the rate of high-risk drinking and alcohol-related motor vehicle injuries and assaults. Methods; Results; Conclusion.
- Effects of Legislative Reform to Reduce Drunken Driving and Alcohol-related Traffic Fatalities. Hingson, Ralph W.; Howland, Jonathan; Levenson, Suzette // Public Health Reports;Nov/Dec88, Vol. 103 Issue 6, p659
From 1980 through 1985, considerable progress was made across the Nation in reducing drunken driving and fatal automobile crashes. More than 400 chapters of local citizen groups concerned with reducing drunken driving were formed. New media coverage, measured in number of stories, increased...
- Effectiveness of Ignition Interlocks for Preventing Alcohol-Impaired Driving and Alcohol-Related Crashes: A Community Guide Systematic Review. Elder, Randy W.; Voas, Robert; Beirness, Doug; Shults, Ruth A.; Sleet, David A.; Nichols, James L.; Compton, Richard // Criminal Justice Research Review;Nov/Dec2011, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p36
The article discusses the results of a research review of 15 studies by the Community Guide regarding ignition interlocks for preventing alcohol-impaired driving and alcohol-related crashes. The review compares the effectiveness of interlock installation in reducing driving while...
- Bars need to step up to make streets safer. Christian, Bruce // Echo Magazine;6/15/2004, Vol. 15 Issue 20, p14
Comments on alcoholic drinking in the U.S. Number of drunk driving accidents every year in the U.S.; Need for bar owners and bartenders not to serve alcoholic drinks to drunk patrons; Prohibition in selling alcohol to a person who is intoxicated in Arizona.
- Danger in the Passenger Seat. Bjerklie, David // Time;8/25/2003, Vol. 162 Issue 8, p69
Reports that a study published in "Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research" has found that the greater statistical danger for teenagers is not drinking and driving but rather riding as a passenger with a drunk driver. Details of the study; Risks for Latino and Asian-American teenagers.
- Fornicators & Drunk Drivers. Buckley Jr., W.F. // National Review;5/25/1992, Vol. 44 Issue 10, p55
This article discusses the analogy between drinking alcohol but not driving and distributing condoms in public schools. Drinking alcohol is prohibited in schools in the U.S. Alcohol does not only ruin lives, but also careers and marriages. Meanwhile, extramarital sexual intercourse is forbidden...
- BAC AND FATAL CRASH INVOLVEMENT. Hingson, Ralph; Winter, Michael // Alcohol Research & Health;2003, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p66
Provides a brief description of how various processes affect blood alcohol concentration (BAC) measurement and the consequences of BAC for driving. Absorption and distribution of alcohol in the body; Metabolism of the alcohol; Crash risk posed by drunk driving.