West Nile virus up in 2005
- West Nile virus still a threat. Kondro, Wayne // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;9/12/2006, Vol. 175 Issue 6, p570
The article presents information on the health threat posed by the West Nile virus (WNV) carried by the mosquito species called Culex tarsalas. According to Mike Drebot, head of the Viral Zoonoses section of Health Canada, the WNV rates may rise in Manitoba and Sasketchawan during the 2006...
- West Nile Virus. Relós, Mariana // Current Health 1;Sep2003, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p29
Provides information on the discovery, transmission and symptoms of the West Nile virus carried by some birds in North America. INSETS: Fever Facts;Stopping the Buzz.
- What You Need To Know About West Nile Virus. Akhtar, Saadia R. // Critical Care Alert;Jan2007, Vol. 14 Issue 10, p77
The article offers information about West Nile Virus (WNV).
- US fails to quantify threat of West Nile virus. Hoag, Hannah // Nature;5/8/2003, Vol. 423 Issue 6936, p104
Reports on the failure of researchers to estimate 2003 outbreak of West Nile virus in North America. Carrier of the virus; Severity of the virus spread; Symptoms of the disease.
- West Nile Virus-infected Mosquitoes, Louisiana, 2002. Godsey Jr., Marvin S.; Nasci, Roger; Savage, Harry M.; Aspen, Stephen; King, Raymond; Powers, Ann M.; Burkhalter, Kristen; Colton, Leah; Charnetzky, Dawn; Lasater, Sarah; Taylor, Viki; Palmisano, Charles T. // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Sep2005, Vol. 11 Issue 9, p1399
Human cases of West Nile virus (WNV) disease appeared in St. Tammany and Tangipahoa Parishes in southeastern Louisiana in June 2002. Cases peaked during July, then rapidly declined. We conducted mosquito collections from August 3 to August 15 at residences of patients with confirmed and...
- Introductions of West Nile virus strains to Mexico. Deardorff, Eleanor; Estrada-Franco, Jos´ G.; Brault, Aaron C.; Navarro-Lopez, Roberto; Campomanes-Cortes, Arturo; Paz-Ramirez, Pedro; Solis-Hernandez, Mario; Ramey, Wanichaya N.; Davis, C. Todd; Beasley, David W. C.; Tesh, Robert B.; Barrett, Alan D. T.; Weaver, Scott C.; Estrada-Franco, José // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Feb2006, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p314
Complete genome sequencing of 22 West Nile virus isolates suggested 2 independent introductions into Mexico. A previously identified mouse-attenuated glycosylation variant was introduced into southern Mexico through the southeastern United States, while a common US genotype appears to have been...
- Presencia del virus del oeste del Nilo en el noreste de Mï¿½xico. Fern�ndez-Salas, Ildefonso; Garza-Rodr�guez, Mar�a de Lourdes; Beaty, Barry J.; Jim�nez, Javier Ramos; Rivas-Estilla, Ana Mar�a // Salud Pï¿½blica de Mï¿½xico;may/jun2007, Vol. 49 Issue 3, p210
Objective. To investigate the presence of WNV in birds, horses and humans in northeast Mexico. Material and Methods. Serum samples from 33 birds, 24 horses and 237 humans were screened by ELISA for Anti-WNV antibodies. Human serum samples were also screened for WNV RNA using an RT-PCR assay....
- City traps mosquitoes to test for West Nile. Ursery, Stephen // American City & County;Aug2003, Vol. 118 Issue 9, p12
Reports the installation of gravid traps in St. Charles, Illinois for the detection of the presence of the West Nile virus. Components of the trap; Details on the collection and testing of samples from the traps; Speculations on the arrival of the virus in the community.
- West Nile virus spreading more quickly in U.S. this year. Late, Michele // Nation's Health;Sep2003, Vol. 33 Issue 7, p1
Reports on the emergence of West Nile virus in the U.S. in 2003. Details on the first West Nile virus death of the year; Other death cases related to West Nile virus; Information on other mosquito-borne diseases that have been reported in the U.S.