Cooperative Integrated Reading and Composition: Two field experiments
- The effect of the teacher's reading aloud on the reading comprehension of EFL students. Amer, Aly A. // ELT Journal: English Language Teachers Journal;Jan1997, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p43
Investigates the effect of the teacher's reading aloud on the reading comprehension of EFL students reading a story. Improvement in the native English-speaking children's comprehension by reading aloud; Encouragement for word-for-word reading habits; Multiple-choice test; Story frame test.
- The Princess Storyteller, Clara Clarifier, Quincy Questioner, and the Wizard: Reciprocal teaching adapted for kindergarten students. Myers, Pamela Ann // Reading Teacher;Dec2005/Jan2006, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p314
This section focuses on the adoption of reciprocal teaching for kindergarten students in California. Reciprocal teaching is used with students at academic risk who have difficulty comprehending complex text. In reciprocal teaching, students learn to summarize, ask questions, seek clarification...
- Direct Instruction in Reading Comprehension. Gersten, Russell; Carnine, Douglas // Educational Leadership;Apr86, Vol. 43 Issue 7, p70
Focuses on the applicability of direct instruction for teaching reading comprehension to students at the intermediate and secondary levels in the U.S. Problems in comprehension instructions; Purpose in articulating and demonstrating a step-by-step strategy; Presentation of an example of...
- Remember the Titans. // Scholastic Action;09/18/2000, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p6
Presents a school activity that used some of the scenes in the motion picture `Remember the Titans' that lets children learn about oral reading and reading comprehension.
- CROSSROADS. // Scholastic Action (Teacher's Edition);2/11/2002, Vol. 25 Issue 9, pT2
Presents a teaching guide to enhance the student's oral reading skills, vocabulary and reading comprehension.
- Improving Reading Comprehension and Oral Reading: Generalization Across Behaviors, Settings, and Time. Jenkins, Joseph R.; Barksdale, Armanda; Clinton, LeRoy // Journal of Learning Disabilities;Dec1978, Vol. 11 Issue 10
Focuses on the interrelationship between reading comprehension and oral reading improvement across behaviors, settings and time. Daily measures of reading comprehension obtained in regular classrooms and special remedial settings; Effects of settings and time on comprehension; Effects of oral...
- From the Editor. Baer, Allison L. // Reading Horizons;Feb/Mar2009, Vol. 49 Issue 2, preceding p101
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one on the effect of narration and dialogue on oral reading fluency and another on reading comprehension, oral reading, fluency and text structure.
- Measuring ESL Students' Awareness of Reading Strategies. Mokhatri, Kouider; Sheorey, Ravi // Journal of Developmental Education;Spring2002, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p2
Examines the metacognitive awareness of English as a Second Language students on reading strategies in the U.S. Development of the Survey of Reading Strategies (SORS); Suggestions for improved practices in developmental reading instruction; Efficacy of SORS.
- The Effect of Concept Mapping on Iranian Preintermediate L2 Reading Comprehension. Tabatabaei, Omid; Khalili, Soghra // Journal of Language Teaching & Research;Nov2014, Vol. 5 Issue 6, p1368
Teachers are always looking for innovative ways to help students improve their reading comprehension. One popular method is the use of graphic organizers such as concept maps. This study examined the use of concept maps (a meta cognitive technique) to aid reading comprehension of Iranian...