Cooperative Integrated Reading and Composition: Two field experiments
- The effect of the teacher's reading aloud on the reading comprehension of EFL students. Amer, Aly A. // ELT Journal: English Language Teachers Journal;Jan1997, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p43
Investigates the effect of the teacher's reading aloud on the reading comprehension of EFL students reading a story. Improvement in the native English-speaking children's comprehension by reading aloud; Encouragement for word-for-word reading habits; Multiple-choice test; Story frame test.
- The Princess Storyteller, Clara Clarifier, Quincy Questioner, and the Wizard: Reciprocal teaching adapted for kindergarten students. Myers, Pamela Ann // Reading Teacher;Dec2005/Jan2006, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p314
This section focuses on the adoption of reciprocal teaching for kindergarten students in California. Reciprocal teaching is used with students at academic risk who have difficulty comprehending complex text. In reciprocal teaching, students learn to summarize, ask questions, seek clarification...
- Direct Instruction in Reading Comprehension. Gersten, Russell; Carnine, Douglas // Educational Leadership;Apr86, Vol. 43 Issue 7, p70
Focuses on the applicability of direct instruction for teaching reading comprehension to students at the intermediate and secondary levels in the U.S. Problems in comprehension instructions; Purpose in articulating and demonstrating a step-by-step strategy; Presentation of an example of...
- Improving Reading Comprehension and Oral Reading: Generalization Across Behaviors, Settings, and Time. Jenkins, Joseph R.; Barksdale, Armanda; Clinton, LeRoy // Journal of Learning Disabilities;Dec1978, Vol. 11 Issue 10
Focuses on the interrelationship between reading comprehension and oral reading improvement across behaviors, settings and time. Daily measures of reading comprehension obtained in regular classrooms and special remedial settings; Effects of settings and time on comprehension; Effects of oral...
- Remember the Titans. // Scholastic Action;09/18/2000, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p6
Presents a school activity that used some of the scenes in the motion picture `Remember the Titans' that lets children learn about oral reading and reading comprehension.
- CROSSROADS. // Scholastic Action (Teacher's Edition);2/11/2002, Vol. 25 Issue 9, pT2
Presents a teaching guide to enhance the student's oral reading skills, vocabulary and reading comprehension.
- From the Editor. Baer, Allison L. // Reading Horizons;Feb/Mar2009, Vol. 49 Issue 2, preceding p101
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one on the effect of narration and dialogue on oral reading fluency and another on reading comprehension, oral reading, fluency and text structure.
- New metrics, measures, and uses for fluency data: an introduction to a special issue on the assessment of reading fluency. Biancarosa, Gina; Cummings, Kelli // Reading & Writing;Jan2015, Vol. 28 Issue 1, p1
The primary objective of this special issue is to synthesize results from recent reading fluency research endeavors, and to link these findings to practical uses of reading curriculum-based measurement (R-CBM) tools. Taken together, the manuscripts presented in this issue discuss measurement...
- DENTIFYING METACOGNITIVE STRATEGIES THROUGH LEARNERS' READING COMPREHENSION: A REVIEW OF RELATED STUDIES. Channa, Mansoor Ahmed; Nordin, Zaimuariffudin Shukri // Science International;2014, Vol. 26 Issue 5, p2457
This review study contributes in identifying metacognitive strategies through students' reading comprehension. Different studies presented teachers to become reflective in terms of applying teaching methodology for developing reading skills, metacognitive strategies in reading, and comprehending...