The Impact of Fathers' Absence on African American Adolescents' Gender Role Development
- FREAKS, GOLD DIGGERS, DIVAS, AND DYKES: THE SOCIOHISTORICAL DEVELOPMENT OF ADOLESCENT AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMEN'S SEXUAL SCRIPTS. Stephens, Dionne P.; Phillips, Layli D. // Sexuality & Culture;Winter2003, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p3
The development of a sexual self is based in an understanding of the messages and meanings an individual is given about sexual roles and behaviors. To understand how meanings become scripts unique to adolescent African American women's experiences, it is important to look at how their images...
- Untitled. // Relational Child & Youth Care Practice;Fall2009, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p68
The author talks about the behavior of a teenage girl named Rainbow in a class. He says that the part of the attitude of Rainbow towards life is to defy orders. He cites the potential role that Rainbow's mother will play if she was going to live her life in a different way. He also explains his...
- The dilemma of biracial adoption. Chestang, Leon // Social Work;May72, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p100
Permanent homes must be found for the eighty thousand homeless black children in this country. Social work's solution has been. biracial adoption. The author points up the dangers of such an approach both to the black child and the white adoptive parents. Although he does not advocate total...
- BRITAIN'S BROWN BABIES. // Ebony;Nov1946, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p19
The article deals with brown babies in Great Britain, who are abandoned by their African-American fathers because the U.S. Army officials decline the marriages of the soldiers to English women who mothered the infants.
- Arianna Huffington on being fearless. // Daughters;Nov/Dec2007, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p1
The article discusses how mothers could deal with the fears faced by girls during their teen years, as well as their own, as discussed by Arianna Huffington, writer of "On Becoming Fearless." According to Huffington, fears in teenage girls are shown in depression, eating disorders, drug use,...
- Consider This. Sheffer, Susannah // New Moon Network;Nov/Dec99, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p15
Focuses on the importance of communication and understanding in the growth of a teenage girl. Difficulty of teenage girls in dealing with complexities of life; Ways of establishing communication with teenage girls.
- Troubled Friends. // Daughters;Mar/Apr2003, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p7
Relates how a mother and a teenage daughter prevented a boy friend from committing suicide. Caretaker personality of the teenage daughter; Informing the boy's parents of his plans.
- Girlhood's Prime. Toutant, Pamela // Daughters;May/Jun2002, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p14
Focuses on the behaviors of teenage girls. Interests of teenagers; Fears of parents for children; Changes in the attitudes of teenagers.
- Dressing-room war. Scott, Cintra // Seventeen;Mar96, Vol. 55 Issue 3, p153
Narrates a teenage girl's story about how she settled a conflict with her mother while shopping for a senior-prom dress.