A Government Program That's Here to Help--and Does
- Electric Heat Avoids Some Costly Problems. // Process Heating;Nov2007 Part 2 of 2, Vol. 14, p4
The article discusses the issues with steam systems not inherent with electric heaters which also avoid some costly problems. It cites some case studies presented in 2001 such as 170 traps tested in annual survey, adjusted annual steam loss of 14 million pounds, and using a steam cost of $5.97...
- Updating Automotive Research. Sperling, Daniel // Issues in Science & Technology;Spring2002, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p85
Provides information on the FreedomCAR, a public-private cooperative research program between the U.S. Department of Energy and domestic automakers. Information on the Partnership for a New Generation of Vehicles (PNGV); Goal of PNGV; Issues concerning the PNGV; Factors that are slowing the...
- Improving the (Hydrogen) Infrastructure. // World Trade: WT100;Jun2013, Vol. 26 Issue 6, p8
The article reports that the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has launched H2USA, a public-private partnership focused on advancing hydrogen (H2) infrastructure to support more transportation energy options for U.S. consumers, including fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs).
- Making the Most of Boiler Inspections. CONNOR, STEVE // Heating/Piping/Air Conditioning Engineering;Aug2008, Vol. 80 Issue 8, p30
The article discusses fundamental considerations governing inspections of small firetube units. It offers suggestions of proper asset protection, utilization, and fuel conservation. It is advised to examine the condition of the fireside of the unit to see to it if there is serious cracking or...
- CLAYTON INDUSTRIES DELIVERS DAY & CAMPBELL A CURE FOR TIRED BOILER. // Concrete Products;Jun2013, Vol. 116 Issue 6, p36
In this article, the concrete slag block manufacturer Day & Campbell Ltd. discusses several features of steam generator including high efficiency, fuel savings and steam output performance from the leading steam generator manufacturer Clayton Industries.
- Certification standard builds on old lessons. Swanekamp, Robert // Power;Nov/Dec97, Vol. 141 Issue 6, p15
Focuses on efforts to decrease incidents with boiler explosions in plants. Regulation of the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990; Information on a program conducted by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and excepts from a paper written by Rita M DeHart, Committee Vice Chair of the...
- Proper piping and control for multiple steam boilers. Roche, Jim // PM Engineer;Jul96, Vol. 2 Issue 6, p30
Focuses on multiple steam boiler piping. Proper steam supply piping; Proper condensate return piping; Boiler water level control; Combustion efficiency; System efficiency.
- Inconel 690 is alloy of choice for steam-generator tubing. Strauss, Sheldon D. // Power;Feb96, Vol. 140 Issue 2, p29
Relates the emergence of Inconel 690 alloy for steam-generator tubing. Claimed advantages over other similar products; Options to maintaining nuclear pressurized-water-reactor plant tubes; Problems of initially preferred materials for tubing needs; Optimization implemented on Alloy 690.
- With modular steam boilers, success lies in the piping. Holohan, Dan // PM Engineer;Nov96, Vol. 2 Issue 9, p12
States that how modular steam boilers are piped, whether individually or together, will determine the outcome of the job. Points to keep in mind about these boilers; Dynamics of the steam; How the boilers operate; Installation of the boilers; How to achieve the best results.