Rocky Mountain High
- The Manual. // Backpacker;Mar2010, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p44
The article presents a guide for crossing a spring snowfield including descending on slopes and self-arrest tips to stop any fall.
- Straight up ice. Krakauer, Jon // National Geographic;Dec96, Vol. 190 Issue 6, p82
Discusses the sport of ice climbing. History of ice climbing; How Yvon Chouinard helped changed ice climbing in 1966; Why climbers choose to climb ice; Comments from climbers; The author's experience climbing the ice wall at the cliff of Frenchman Coulee in Washington State; Colorado's Ouray...
- COOL VACATION. Hamalainen, Karina // Science World;2/22/2010, Vol. 66 Issue 10, p12
The article focuses on Girls on Ice, a free program wherein girls from the U.S. and Canada trekked Mount Baker in the Cascades mountain range of Washington State.
- The art of ice climbing. Hochman, Paul // Ski;Dec95, Vol. 60 Issue 4, p72
Focuses on the art of ice climbing. Gear and equipment used in ice climbing; Author's experience as a novice climber; Fear of climbing and death. INSET: Getting started..
- Curtain call. Prichard, Nancy // Women's Sports & Fitness;Jan/Feb96, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p50
Recounts the author's ice climbing adventures in the Rocky Mountains. Description of the trail; Popularity of scaling waterfall ice; How the author got started in ice climbing; Challenges of climbing frozen waterfalls; Information on five ice climbing schools across North America. INSET:...
- Souls on ice. Noble, C. // Sierra;Nov/Dec88, Vol. 73 Issue 6, p76
Recounts the author's emotions and adventures during ice climbing--the beauty and intrigue of ice, techniques for climbing it, security and versatility of improved equipment.
- Ice climbing. Lowe, J. // Backpacker;Mar1989, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p74
Gives advice on ice climbing. Equipment needed; Climbing techniques; Recommended reading; Falls and self-arrest techniques.
- An Ice-Climbing Adventure. Kunstel, Stacy // Southern Living;Nov99, Vol. 34 Issue 11, p52
Details ice-climbing in Ourey Ice Park, Colorado. Lessons learned from guide Bill Whitt; Description of the park; Information on San Juan Mountain Guides; Cost of ice-climbing lessons.
- I'M PROUD OF THIS PICTURE. Hosmer, Jim // Saturday Evening Post;1/2/1954, Vol. 226 Issue 27, p37
A photograph of mountaineers atop Mount Rainier, Washington is presented, along with details of the climb.