Reaching Across the Divide
- CBS2: Network in the Works. Eggerton, John // Broadcasting & Cable;10/10/2005, Vol. 135 Issue 41, p4
Focuses on the plans of the CBS cable network to offer digital multicasting that would be entertainment-oriented. Total number of cable households where the service will be delivered.
- Preparing for the 'new reality' Walkowiak, Mariusz; Smith-Chaigneau, Anthony // CED;Jun2003, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p62
Discusses the emergence of cable-ready digital television. Creation of a uni-directional interface called point of deployment (POD); Opportunity for consumers to purchase cable-compatible digital set-top boxes and integrated digital televisions at retail; Software component of OpenCable, called...
- Digital cable insights. Hall, Lee // Electronic Media;03/22/99, Vol. 18 Issue 12, p24
Reports that CTAM plans to sponsor a national tele-seminar focusing on digital technology applications in cable television industry in the United States. Digital futurist James Canton as host of the seminar to be beamed via satellite to the organization's chapters in the US.
- Analysts tell how cable operators can get DTV value. Mermigas, Diane // Electronic Media;11/01/99, Vol. 18 Issue 44, p20
Presents two recommendations by analysts to cable operators in the United States on how to get value out of digital television. Merrill Lynch analyst Jessica Reif Cohen's statement that cable operators should free up spectrum and digitize analog channels; Morgan Stanley Dean Witter analyst...
- Not just a sneak preview. McCarthy, Shira // Telephony;11/11/96, Vol. 231 Issue 20, p26
Focuses on the imminent deployment of digital cable services. Switched dial video architectures from Bell Atlantic and SBC; Time Warner's Full Service Network project; Significance of digital service to a cable television operator's quality of service; Expensiveness of digital cable; Operators'...
- The DTV push is on for 1998. Dickson, Glen // Broadcasting & Cable;07/21/97, Vol. 127 Issue 30, p92
Reports on the plans of cable stations throughout the nation's top ten markets to begin transmission of digital television (DTV) following the US Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) release of its DTV allocation table in April 1997. Priorities of the 26 stations; Budget plans for the...
- Not just `passing-thru'. Dickson, Glen // Broadcasting & Cable;07/21/97, Vol. 127 Issue 30, p94
Examines the problem of early digital television station ventures in the United States with the insertion of local content. Factors that complicate the digital television `pass-thru' station concept; Efforts of stations to address the problem; Cost issues involved.
- Cable joins high-tech coalition against digital TV standard. McConnell, Chris // Broadcasting & Cable;7/15/96, Vol. 126 Issue 30, p9
Reports that cable companies in the United States have switched sides to join the computer industry in opposing the adoption of mandatory standard for digital television. Comments from National Cable Television Association President Decker Anstrom; Company's concern on the barriers to...
- The pecking order. // Broadcast Engineering;Oct98, Vol. 40 Issue 11, p26
Reports on the United States Federal Communications Commission's call for the resolution of technical problems involving digital television (DTV) by television manufacturers and the cable industry. Potential impact of DTV to cable customers; Importance of ensuring compatibility among DTV sets.