fields & frames
- RETURN OF THE 3-D. Mone, Gregory // Popular Science;Jun2006, Vol. 268 Issue 6, p62
The article focuses on the application of three dimensional display (3-D) in motion picture production in the U.S. Among movie directors who have plans to release 3-D films are Iames Cameron and George Lucas. Disney launched the 3-D version of its animated film titled "Chicken Little" in...
- SCREEN TEST. Kaufman, Debra // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;11/16/2007, Vol. 402 Issue 10, p102
The article reports on "Beowulf," and the efforts being made to animate the scenes with 3-D graphics. "Beowulf," set to be released on November 16,2007, will be the biggest 3-0 release in modern film history. As stated, the trickiest scene in the movie to transform into three dimensions is when...
- After a Few Flops, Studios Are Playing Down 3-D. Stanley, T. L. // Brandweek;9/13/2010, Vol. 51 Issue 32, p8
The article examines the decline of three-dimensional (3-D) films following the commercial failure of several productions. The author mentioned how DreamWorks Animation avoid mentioning that the animated film "Megamind" is in 3-D because the word has been associated with high ticket prices and...
- Keeping Stereo 3D on Its Evolutionary Track. MOLTENBREY, KAREN // Computer Graphics World;May2011, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p2
An interview with DreamWorks Animation's Phil McNally is presented regarding the trend of stereo 3-dimensional (3D) movies. DreamWorks began making stereoscopic 3D movies in 2007 by integrating stereo at the start of the project's creative process instead of being a post-production task that was...
- In the realm of the senses. Arthur, Paul // Film Comment;Jan/Feb96, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p78
Discusses technological advances in filmmaking production through the use of IMAX 3D technology. Benefits of the 3D process as cited by veteran IMAX director Stephen Low; Movies done with the use of the IMAX technology; Compatibility with feature-length scripted narratives.
- 3D pics line up in Europe. Lodderhose, Diana // Daily Variety;5/10/2010, Vol. 307 Issue 26, p7
The article reports on various three-dimensional (3D) films being lined up in Europe as companies are jumping into 3D production of movies for the kids.
- MORE DIMENSIONS FOR 3D FILMS. Clapp, Cristina // Videography;Mar2011, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p4
The article offers the author's insights on the production of three dimensional (3D) motion pictures.
- Mouse re-tooning animation strategy. Dunkley, Cathy // Daily Variety;1/12/2004, Vol. 282 Issue 10, p1
Reports that David Stainton, president of Walt Disney animation, has given the go signal for the production of a 3-D computer-animated picture based on William Joyce's bestselling children's book, "A Day With Wilbur Robinson." Selection of Clark Spencer, producer of "Lilo & Stitch," as...
- You Know What They Say About Big Brains... Milligan, Mercedes // Animation;Nov2010, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p12
The article discusses the creation of the animated film "Megamind" directed by Tom McGrath and produced by DreamWorks Animation Inc. McGrath says that the film's casts include the voice of Will Ferrell as a hyper intelligent alien, Brad Pitt who acts as an extraterrestrial super-powered hero...