Social support and education groups for single mothers: a randomized controlled trial of a community-based program
- Finding a lifeboat: It simply makes sense to learn from other families. Thomson, Donna // Abilities;Winter2013, Issue 95, p26
In the article, the author discusses ways on how to cope and live with a child with disability. She presents her own experience with her son, in which she met Kathleen Jordan, who became her friend and mentor. She cites the study in Canada in 2002, which cited several benefits of parent...
- Suicidal children s parents speak out. // Community Care;10/10/2002, Issue 1443, p9
Reports on the findings of a survey regarding the opinion of suicidal children's parents on the role of professionals in making young people's mental health a priority in Great Britain. Effect of a child's suicide; Difficulties reported by the parents in accessing appropriate help for...
- After Adoption. Celock, John // Children's Voice;Nov/Dec2006, Vol. 15 Issue 6, p12
The article offers information on post-adoption services, which is a growing aspect of the adoption profession. A survey conducted by the Child Welfare League of America revealed that 94% of respondents across 39 U.S. states provide post-adoption services such as support groups, child and family...
- RISK AND RESILIENCE IN CHILDREN OF PRISONERS: A RESEARCH REVIEW. CHRISTMANN, KRIS; TURLIUC, MARIA NICOLETA; MAIREAN, CORNELIA // Scientific Annals of the 'Al. I. Cuza' University, Iasi. Sociolo;Dec2012, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p53
This paper reviews theory and evidence on the risk for child mental health and well-being following parental imprisonment in Europe, America, and Australasia, and examines some cross-country differences in outcomes. In an attempt to explain these cross-country differences a particular focus on...
- single. solo. uno. the power of one. Coppa, Christine // Baby Talk;Apr2012, Vol. 77 Issue 3, p49
The article presents suggestions for single pregnant women and new mothers on dealing with single motherhood. Leah Klungness, a psychologist, says that single mothers often carry guilt due to the circumstances that led to being a single parent. Louise Sloan, a single mother, says that instead of...
- My Perspective. When Mom or Dad Have Cancer: Helping Kids Cope. Gutierrez, Lindsey // Radiation Therapist;Fall2015, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p218
The author reflects on the importance of emotional and physical support to children of parents diagnosed with cancer. Topics covered include the need for resources to enhance the ability to cope with the emotions that accompany the illness, the concept of the Children's Lives Include Moments of...
- Social networks that empower. Bewley, Toni // Nursing Children & Young People;Nov2012, Vol. 24 Issue 9, p13
The author describes her experience of using the social networking site Facebook to illustrate the advantages of online forums which can provide much needed support to parents of disabled children.
- Night Crawlers. Wilder, Kathryn // River Teeth;Spring2013, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p77
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience as a single mother on building the confidence and independence of her nine-year-old son on catching fish.
- Parent to Parent Programs. // Exceptional Parent;Jan2011, Vol. 41 Issue 1, p92
A directory for Parent to Parent organizations is presented, offering informational and emotional support on parents having children with disabilities and special medical care needs.