THE DEATH OF A PIONEER
- `In Memoriam' Sherman Elbridge Johnson, 1908-1993. Countryman, Louis William // Anglican Theological Review;Fall93, Vol. 75 Issue 4, p434
Presents an obituary of Sherman Elbridge Johnson, who died on March 24, 1993. Positions held and responsibilities; Career as a New Testament scholar; Interest in geography of the ancient Mediterranean world; Command of Greek.
- Editorial Statement. Horrell, David G. // Journal for the Study of the New Testament;Mar2003, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p1
Comments on the wide range of approaches employed in New Testament studies. Remarks on the provision of review assays and discussions; Importance or interest in the field of New Testament studies; Details on the best of New Testament Scholarship.
- AN APOLOGY FOR THE APOLOGETIC FUNCTION OF 1 THESSALONIANS 2.1-12. Weima, Jeffrey A.D. // Journal for the Study of the New Testament;Dec97, Issue 68, p73
Focuses on a apology for the apologetic function of Thessalonians. Integrity of Paul, founder of Thessalonians; Functions of Thessalonians; Appreciation of apologetic functions in the light of reconstruction of the passage's historical context.
- In Memoriam: Frederick Murphy. Laffey, Alice L. // Catholic Biblical Quarterly;Jan2012, Vol. 74 Issue 1, p118
An obituary for New Testament professor Frederick "Rick" Murphy is presented.
- Lightfoot's 'Woman': Scribal Transmission and the Victorian Reporter. Holman, Susan R. // Anglican Theological Review;Spring2002, Vol. 84 Issue 2, p251
Focuses on the corrective exploration into the aspect of New Testament scholar Joseph Barber Lightfoot's ministry and vision in London, England. Version of the sermon on women; Details on the personal relationship of Lightfoot with women; Details on the theological education of women.
- Composition and Meaning in the Bavli. Kraemer, David // Prooftexts;Sep88, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p271
The article focuses on the composition and interpretation of the Babylonian Talmud (the Bavli). Topics discussed include the rhetorical-critical technique used by George A. Kennedy for the analysis of the New Testament, the application of the rhetorical criticism to the Talmud, and analysis of...
- Rod Decker (1952-2014). Mungons, Kevin // Journal of Ministry & Theology;Fall2014, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p5
An obituary for author, seminary professor, and New Testament (NT) scholar Rod Decker is presented.
- William Grover Pierpont. Robinson, Maurice A. // TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism;2003, Vol. 8, pN.PAG
An obituary for William Grover Pierpont, the co-editor of the book "The Greek New Testament: Byzantine Textform," is presented.
- The Question of Motive in the Case against Morton Smith. Brown, Scott G. // Journal of Biblical Literature;Summer2006, Vol. 125 Issue 2, p351
The author argues on the question of motive in the forgery case against Morton Smith. New Testament scholars have debated whether Smith himself forged the evidence for the secret Gospel of Mark, a manuscript of a letter by Clement of Alexandria to Theodore that Smith catalogued and photographed...