FREEDOM, LICENSE, AND THE TRUTH
- Academic freedom and the constitution. Conboy, Kenneth // Academic Questions;Summer92, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p87
Comments on academic freedom based on the decision of the author, a New York judge, in the case `Levin v. Harleston'. Disruption in Professor Michael Levin's classes which he sought the court to curb; Trend toward political correctness sweeping colleges and universities in the United States;...
- A lawyer's brief against litigating academic disputes. McDonald, Michael P. // Academic Questions;Fall92, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p9
Argues that academic freedom is ill served when any but its most flagrant violations are litigated. Institutional versus individual academic freedom; How courts resolve competing claims of academic freedom; Merits of First Amendment `academic freedom' actions against private colleges and...
- Scholarly ideas and a changing reality. Burgan, Mary // Academic Questions;Fall97, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p22
Examines issues involved in determining abuses of academic freedom. Features of the `Statement of Principles on Academic Freedom and Tenure'; History of the statement; Impact of the growth of religious educational institutions on academic freedom.
- A bourgeois liberal value of the past. Gottfried, Paul // Academic Questions;Fall97, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p25
Examines the trends affecting the concept of academic freedom in the United States. History of the concept; Impact of the commercialization of higher education on academic freedom; Discussion on the future of academic freedom.
- Evening up and freedom. Heilman, Robert B. // Academic Questions;Fall97, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p31
Examines the impact of activities made for institutional and social ends on academic freedom. Author's experience teaching in college; Impact of the advocacy of social cause on individual achievement.
- `Academic freedom': Two words in search of common ground. Horowitz, Irving Louis // Academic Questions;Fall97, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p33
Examines the generalities affecting academic freedom. Meaning of the word academic; Definition of academic freedom; Relationship of academic freedom with free speech.
- No freedom but in harness. Kogan, Steve // Academic Questions;Fall97, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p37
Examines the erosion of intellectual standards and constraints in the revisions of the 1940 agreement `Statement on Academic Freedom.' Author's experience looking for a copy of the original text of the agreement; Details of the changes made to the original text; Problems with the erosion of...
- On teachers for whom the Earth is flat. Lefkowitz, Mary R. // Academic Questions;Fall97, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p40
Details the lessons learned by the author concerning academic freedom through her experience at Wellesley College in Massachusetts. Features of the dispute concerning a professor's use of the book `The Secret Relationship Between Blacks and Jews' as a required text; Features of the professor's...
- What happened to professionalism? London, Herbert // Academic Questions;Fall97, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p43
Examines the impact of academic freedom on establishing consensus on what should be professional conduct. Features of the `Statement on Academic Freedom' in 1940; Discussion on the challenges to academic freedom in the United States in the 1950s and 1960s; Role of academic freedom in...