Teaching Strategies for the Slow-Learning Social Studies Student
- Reciprocal teaching of social studies in inclusive elementary classrooms. Lederer // Journal of Learning Disabilities;Jan/Feb2000, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p91
Reading comprehension relies on the use of metacognitive strategies. Reciprocal teaching has been found to be an effective comprehension technique to use with students with learning disabilities. This study examined the effectiveness of reciprocal teaching during social studies instruction with...
- Comprehension and Teaching (Book Review). Newberger, Darryl Alan // Journal of Learning Disabilities;Aug/Sep1982, Vol. 15 Issue 7
Reviews the book 'Comprehension and Teaching: Research Reviews,' edited by John T. Guthrie.
- The differential effects of two systematic reading comprehension approaches with students with learning disabilities. Rabren, Karen; Darch, Craig; Eaves, Ronald C. // Journal of Learning Disabilities;Jan/Feb1999, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p36
Presents the results of a study which compared two highly dissimilar approaches for teaching learning disabled students to determine character motive when reading three types of narrative text. Comprehension measures used; Rule-based instruction; Results of transfer and maintenance tests.
- LEARNING--A MATTER OF STYLE. Dunn, Rita S. // Educational Leadership;Mar1979, Vol. 36 Issue 6, p430
Suggests teaching methods for slow learners. Definition of slow learners; Characteristics of slow learners; Materials used for teaching slow learners.
- Chapter 1: CONTEXTUALIZING MYSELF IN PRACTICE, THEORY, AND PLACE. Connor, David J. // Urban Narratives: Portraits in Progress--Life at the Intersectio;2007, p7
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of teaching the learning disabled (LD).
- Best practices in promoting reading comprehension in students with learning disabilities. Mastropieri, Margo A.; Scruggs, Thomas E. // Remedial & Special Education;Jul/Aug97, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p197
Describes the best practices for facilitating reading comprehension for students with learning disabilities. Review of research in reading comprehension with students with learning disabilities; Analysis of relevant literature; High effects of some reading comprehension strategies; Description...
- Strategy Training and Reading Comprehension. Brailsford, Anne; Snart, Fern; Das, J.P. // Journal of Learning Disabilities;May1984, Vol. 17 Issue 5
Describes the application of a remedial strategy training program to improve the reading comprehension of learning disabled students. Comparison of the experimental group in cognitive strategy training and the control group in remedial reading; Results indicating greater experimental than...
- Connecting Brain Research with Dimensions of Learning. Hardiman, Mariale M. // Educational Leadership;Nov2001, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p52
Suggests the best practices for teaching children, especially students with learning disabilities, based on a brain research and the dimensions of learning. Techniques for inculcating positive attitudes; Practice for making students acquire and integrate knowledge; Activities which allow...
- The SM rap -- or, here's the rap on self-monitoring. Rankin, Joan L.; Reid, Robert // Intervention in School & Clinic;Jan95, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p181
Focuses on the method of self-monitoring in the teaching of students with mild learning disabilities. Explanation of self-monitoring; Implementation of self-monitoring intervention; Illustration of the procedures used for a student with learning disabilities having difficulties in math.