Mississippi issuer, IRS in settlement
- Damage to business reputation. // Practical Accountant;Feb99, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p14
Discloses that payments resulting from lawsuit settlements are not exempted from the business owner's income based on Section 104(a)(2) of the United States Tax Code.
- American Speedy founder settles tax dispute. // Crain's Detroit Business;3/25/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 12, p25
Reports the settlement of tax dispute between American Speedy Printing Inc. founder Vernon Buchanan and Internal Revenue Service in Washington.
- Lawsuit settlement characterization. // Practical Accountant;Dec98, Vol. 31 Issue 12, p22
Characterizes the tax treatment for settlement proceeds from acquired corporation lawsuit in the United States.
- PREPAID INTEREST-GIMMICKRY AND AN ANSWER. Gyemant, Rob Ernest // California Law Review;Oct68, Vol. 56 Issue 5, p1250
Discusses the deductibility of prepaid interest in the year of payment, regardless of the period for which the money was borrowed in the U.S. Distortion in income reporting; Taxpayer's abuse of the provisions of the interest deduction statute; Mechanics of the transaction; Example of...
- Discrimination settlements can be tax-free. Ellentuck, Albert B. // Nation's Business;Aug94, Vol. 82 Issue 8, p74
Focuses on tax aspects of cash settlement of employee complaint of discrimination. Allocation to tort injuries and compensation; Case example; Issue in buyout situations.
- DOWNHILL FROM THE PROFITABILITY PEAK. Phillips, Kevin // Accountancy;Aug1988, Vol. 102 Issue 1140, p28
Forecasts a downswing in insurance underwriting earnings in 1988 in the United States and Great Britain. Increase in tax liability with the exhaustion of loss carry-forwards and deferred tax; Catastrophe ratios; Legal problems with tort settlements; Tightness in reinsurance capacity; Effects of...
- WHY SETTLE FOR LESS? FACTORING IN TAXABILITY. Edwards, Tony M.; Reiser, Carolyn // ABA Journal;Apr92, Vol. 78 Issue 4, p52
Presents advice to U.S. lawyers on the tax considerations in bringing a claim and negotiating a settlement for a client. Taxation of damages and settlement awards; Nature of the claim; Tax Court cases; Steps to take at various stages of the case; Planning opportunities for both the defendant...
- Context Matters: The Recharacterization of Leases in Bankruptcy and Tax Law. Oei, Shu-Yi // American Bankruptcy Law Journal;Fall2008, Vol. 82 Issue 4, p635
The article provides information on how recharacterization of leases are performed between the contexts of bankruptcy and tax system. It discusses the law governing commercial transactions and how the tax approach and the bankruptcy system differ in terms of lease recharacterization. It suggests...
- NH medical center offers $14 million settlement of tax status dispute. Braisden, Harry // AHA News;02/05/2001, Vol. 37 Issue 5, p8
Announces that the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center of Lebanon, New Hampshire has offered a settlement for its dispute with the city over its tax status. Brief background of the institution; Statement issued by the hospital president.