Mississippi issuer, IRS in settlement
- American Speedy founder settles tax dispute. // Crain's Detroit Business;3/25/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 12, p25
Reports the settlement of tax dispute between American Speedy Printing Inc. founder Vernon Buchanan and Internal Revenue Service in Washington.
- State, Yakamas agree on fuel taxes. // Confederated Umatilla Journal;Dec2013, Vol. 17 Issue 12, p37
The article reports on the agreement between the Yakama Nation and the state of Washington to settle a long-term dispute on how to pay taxes on fuel traded at gas stations owned by Indian tribe members.
- Damage to business reputation. // Practical Accountant;Feb99, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p14
Discloses that payments resulting from lawsuit settlements are not exempted from the business owner's income based on Section 104(a)(2) of the United States Tax Code.
- PREPAID INTEREST-GIMMICKRY AND AN ANSWER. Gyemant, Rob Ernest // California Law Review;Oct68, Vol. 56 Issue 5, p1250
Discusses the deductibility of prepaid interest in the year of payment, regardless of the period for which the money was borrowed in the U.S. Distortion in income reporting; Taxpayer's abuse of the provisions of the interest deduction statute; Mechanics of the transaction; Example of...
- Discrimination settlements can be tax-free. Ellentuck, Albert B. // Nation's Business;Aug94, Vol. 82 Issue 8, p74
Focuses on tax aspects of cash settlement of employee complaint of discrimination. Allocation to tort injuries and compensation; Case example; Issue in buyout situations.
- Qualified Settlement Funds vs. Transaction Escrows. Wood, Robert W. // M&A Tax Report;Jun2014, Vol. 22 Issue 11, p4
The article compares qualified settlement funds (QSFs) to an escrow in terms of tax settlements. QSFs are often used to resolve litigation while escrows are often used in acquisition agreements. In 1986 the U.S. Congress started allowing corporations to deduct payments to designated settlement...
- DOWNHILL FROM THE PROFITABILITY PEAK. Phillips, Kevin // Accountancy;Aug1988, Vol. 102 Issue 1140, p28
Forecasts a downswing in insurance underwriting earnings in 1988 in the United States and Great Britain. Increase in tax liability with the exhaustion of loss carry-forwards and deferred tax; Catastrophe ratios; Legal problems with tort settlements; Tightness in reinsurance capacity; Effects of...
- Lawsuit settlement characterization. // Practical Accountant;Dec98, Vol. 31 Issue 12, p22
Characterizes the tax treatment for settlement proceeds from acquired corporation lawsuit in the United States.
- CORPORATE TRANSACTIONS UNDER THE BANKRUPTCY TAX ACT OF 1980. Scranton, David F. // Tax Lawyer;Fall81, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p49
Outlines the history behind the creation of the Bankruptcy Tax Act of 1980. Effects of the Act on corporate transactions; Complexities of the Act; Aims of the Bankruptcy Tax Act of 1980.