How They Compare to Real Foods: Dietary Supplements
- Broccoli in gummi candies? // Current Health 2;Nov98, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p2
Reports on the emergence of nutritionally enhanced foods called `nutraceuticals,' to which supplements are added to boost their nutritional value. Types of nutraceuticals that have hit the market; Experts' concern about the health value of the nutraceuticals.
- Eating well. Dixon, Bernard // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);7/8/95, Vol. 311 Issue 6997, p132
Focuses on the trend towards natural dietary supplements. Review of antioxidants by Pamela Mason in the `Pharmaceutical Journal'; Paper by David Jack published in `Molecular Medicine Today' on `nutraceuticals'.
- The scoop on energy bars. Brown, Linda J.; Wilder, Shannon // Arthritis Today;May/Jun99, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p14
Discourages the use of energy bars by people who do moderate daily activities and those who do not exercise at all. Types of energy bars; Function of energy bars; Advantages of eating regular meals that provide adequate nutrition.
- NUTRITION 101: Magnificent Elements. // Body Bulletin;Jan2002, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p3
Presents the seven basic elements for healthy and well-balanced diet of the person in the United States. Function of the nutrients in the human body; List of principal carbohydrates to supply energy for cell formation; Total percentage of protein calories the person need a day.
- The best vitamins for you. Somer, Elizabeth // Redbook;Aug99, Vol. 193 Issue 3, p106
Offers guidelines on eating right and using supplements like vitamin pills wisely. Profiles of four women with different nutritional needs; Strategies to help keep one's body healthy.
- Tips for staying healthy. // Charlotte Post;12/19/2013, Vol. 39 Issue 15, p4B
In this article, dietitians and authors Lyssie Lakatos and Tammy Lakatos Shames offers tips for staying healthy which include drinking seltzer, iced green tea or water with lime, regular exercises and eating high-fiber carbohydrate such as fresh fruit, oatmeal or whole-grain crispbread.
- healthy shopper. // Alive: Canada's Natural Health & Wellness Magazine;Jan2005, Issue 267, p122
The article presents information about some medicine for good health. Echinamide from the company Natural Factors is a fresh herb echinacea extract clinically proven to stop viral infections, reduce severity of colds and speed recovery. Heartburn and acid reflux are caused when stomach acid is...
- An Antioxidant for DIABETES. Hughes, Kerry // Prepared Foods;Nov2003, Vol. 172 Issue 11, pNS13
Discusses the Pycnogenol, an antioxidant ingredient launched by the Natural Health Science into the functional food market. Health benefits; Chemical contents; Antioxidant applications of Pycnogenol.
- The Ultimate Food Fight: Diet vs. Supplements. Shuler, Pam // New Life Journal: Carolina Edition;Mar2008, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p12
The article presents the author's view on the contention between natural foods and dietary supplements on health benefits. The author discusses that both have beneficial result for optimal health. However, he also stresses to patronize natural and organic foods and discusses that synthetic...