SCHOLASTIC NEWS Teacher's guide, Vol. 74 No. 8, November 14, 2005
- Brain Busters. // Scholastic News -- Senior Edition;02/12/2001, Vol. 69 Issue 16, p8
Presents a quiz about global warming and the use of Native American images by sports teams.
- An Origin Story. Cook-Lynn, Elizabeth // Wicazo Sa Review;Fall2005, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p17
Traces the genesis of both the "Wicazo Sa Review: A Journal of Native American Studies" and American Indian studies (AIS). Daunting task of Native scholars in the early 1980s to create a world within academia; Vision a handful of people had concerning the development of AIS as an academic...
- Editors' Commentary. In, James Riding; Pexa, Chris // Wicazo Sa Review;Fall2005, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p5
Introduces the fall 2005 issue of "Wicazo Sa Review" which commemorates the 20th anniversary of the journal. Journal's legacy seen in the context of the American Indian studies (AIS) movement; Difference of "Wicazo Sa Review" from the other AIS journals; General forum for AIS scholarship and...
- Maine school inches toward mascot change. // Native American Times;7/8/2011, Vol. 17 Issue 27, p2
The article reports on Sanford School Committee's decision to wait until school opens in September 2011 and see whether it would adopt a new mascot name for the high school or retain the name "Redskins," which many Native Americans reportedly find offensive.
- U.S.A.: Native Americans, pp. 4-7. // Junior Scholastic;12/9/94, Vol. 97 Issue 8, pT-2
Presents a lesson plan related to an article on Native Americans found on pages 4 to 7 of the December 9, 1994 issue of the `Junior Scholastic' magazine.
- Debate. // Scholastic News -- Senior Edition;02/12/2001, Vol. 69 Issue 16, p7
Presents opposing views on the use of Native American symbols as sports team mascots.
- Insult or Honor? MAJEROL, VERONICA // New York Times Upfront;2/20/2012, Vol. 144 Issue 10, p6
The article discusses the Wisconsin law passed in 2010 that gave residents the right to contest race-based nicknames, logos, or mascots. A Mukwonago High School senior filed a complaint on the Indians nickname of their football team and mascot, a Plains Indian Warrior in 2011. An order to choose...
- Fighting Words: The School Mascot Debate. // Current Events;3/19/99, Vol. 98 Issue 21, p3
Focuses on the school mascot debate in the United States. Controversy over the use of Native American characters of some kind as mascots; Reaction from Native Americans.
- UNDER THE NORTHERN SKY. Kataquapit, Xavier // Nation (1206-2642);1/27/2012, Vol. 19 Issue 6, p41
The article cites a report by the Conference Board of Canada which suggests that airships could serve remote First Nation communities. It says that this is because the winter ice roads which had served as transport for supplies to these communities are becoming more difficult to construct due to...