SCHOLASTIC NEWS Teacher's guide, Vol. 74 No. 8, November 14, 2005
- Brain Busters. // Scholastic News -- Senior Edition;02/12/2001, Vol. 69 Issue 16, p8
Presents a quiz about global warming and the use of Native American images by sports teams.
- An Origin Story. Cook-Lynn, Elizabeth // Wicazo Sa Review;Fall2005, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p17
Traces the genesis of both the "Wicazo Sa Review: A Journal of Native American Studies" and American Indian studies (AIS). Daunting task of Native scholars in the early 1980s to create a world within academia; Vision a handful of people had concerning the development of AIS as an academic...
- Editors' Commentary. In, James Riding; Pexa, Chris // Wicazo Sa Review;Fall2005, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p5
Introduces the fall 2005 issue of "Wicazo Sa Review" which commemorates the 20th anniversary of the journal. Journal's legacy seen in the context of the American Indian studies (AIS) movement; Difference of "Wicazo Sa Review" from the other AIS journals; General forum for AIS scholarship and...
- Maine school inches toward mascot change. // Native American Times;7/8/2011, Vol. 17 Issue 27, p2
The article reports on Sanford School Committee's decision to wait until school opens in September 2011 and see whether it would adopt a new mascot name for the high school or retain the name "Redskins," which many Native Americans reportedly find offensive.
- Oregon mascot bill heads to governor for signature. GARLAND, CHAD // Confederated Umatilla Journal;Mar2014, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p38
The article focuses on issues concerning Oregon's mascot bill which allows several of the state's elementary, middle, and high schools to continue using Native American mascots.
- Stilwell's Indian mascot causes stir. VOICE, CHRISTINA GOOD // Native American Times;1/29/2010, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p4
The article focuses on the controversial mascot of Stilwell High School in Oklahoma that critics dubbed as an exaggerated portrayal of an American Indian.
- U.S.A.: Native Americans, pp. 4-7. // Junior Scholastic;12/9/94, Vol. 97 Issue 8, pT-2
Presents a lesson plan related to an article on Native Americans found on pages 4 to 7 of the December 9, 1994 issue of the `Junior Scholastic' magazine.
- Racial Mascot Bill Off and Running. Slagle, Allogan // News from Native California;Summer2002, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p33
Provides information on the bill AB 2115 in the U.S., sponsored by Alliance Against Racial Mascots. Assembly analysis of the AB 2115; Names, labels and nicknames acceptable to Native Americans; Ways that Native Americans honor one another.
- Debate. // Scholastic News -- Senior Edition;02/12/2001, Vol. 69 Issue 16, p7
Presents opposing views on the use of Native American symbols as sports team mascots.