Viatical Settlements: Life Insurance as a Liquid Asset for the Seriously III
- Betting on death. // Consumer Reports;Feb2001, Vol. 66 Issue 2, p37
Focuses on viatical settlements made by the terminally ill in the United States and the way insurance companies handle them. Problems with fraud; How policy holders sell their life insurance in order to get money; Positive aspects for those who need money for debts and medical bills; Dangers...
- Illicit Life Insurance Settlements. Lovendusky, Michael // Journal of Insurance Medicine;2009, Vol. 41 Issue 1, p16
This article presents the author's view of investments by third-party investors in life insurance policies for people with terminal illnesses. He expresses concern for the sinister counter interest of the investor who has made a wager on the life of someone whose early death would be beneficial....
- Viaticals offer opportunities for investors--and scam artists. Wilkinson, Kaija // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);9/17/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 12
Focuses on the United States viatical industry. Opportunities for investors as well as for scam artists; Emergence of viatical companies in 1990 by purchasing the life insurance policies of terminally ill people; Accelerated death benefits; Forms of fraud.
- Viatical vision. // Money Marketing;11/11/2004, p51
Focuses on the introduction of viatical or traded life market in Great Britain. Benefits of traded life policies; Popularity of the product as an alternative to traditional fixed-interest investments; Mode of insuring data accuracy.
- Viatical take-off. Abraham, Mike // Money Marketing;1/23/2003, p52
Provides an overview of viatical settlements, which involve the purchase of life insurance policies from terminally ill persons who want to access their insurance benefit rather than it being left to their estate. Growth potential of viatical settlements in Great Britain and Europe; Performance...
- Oklahoma Court Rules on Viaticals. // Financial Planning;May2001, Vol. 31 Issue 5, p29
Reports that an Oklahoma court has ruled that viatical settlements are not considered securities. Information on viatical settlements; Comments on an act that would regulate the viatical settlements.
- Going Where The Money Is. Piontek, Steve // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;2/14/2005, Vol. 109 Issue 6, p4
Discusses the emerging area of life settlements in the insurance business. Beginnings in the 1980s as a way for policy holders who had AIDS to get cash when they needed it most; Viatical settlements; $2.8 million gained by underwriter Michael Rodman for his client through Life Settlement;...
- Rolling the Dice on Death. Keating, Peter // Money;Sep99, Vol. 28 Issue 9, p73
Examines the viatical business in the United States and determines whether it is a good market for investors. When the market first developed; How the market has grown in the 1990s; How most viaticals work; The risks involved to investors; Why the US Congress should declare that viaticals are...
- Making a Killing. Eisenberg, Daniel // Time;11/29/1999, Vol. 154 Issue 22, Following p112
Focuses on viaticals, a way for terminally ill or elderly to get money before they die by selling life-insurance policies at a discount. How the practice works; Benefits of a 1999 agreement by United States Congress to make viatical settlements tax exempt; Forecasted economic success of...