Schools of Thoughts
- STATE FARE. Sharpe, Patricia // Texas Monthly;Dec2000, Vol. 28 Issue 12, p208
Deals with the services offered by Penny McConnell, owner of Penny's Pastries, to baking enthusiasts in Austin, Texas. Example of Penny's Pastries cookie recipe.
- Inside School Food: Chefs get creative, and a little sneaky. Walsh, Laura // Food Management Exclusive Insight;12/21/2015, p1
The article reports on the September 2015 episodes of the "Inside School Food" podcast which featured chefs Dora Rivas and Lisa Feldman discussing the reformulation of foods to meet new nutrition standards in the U.S.
- Doing Their Part. // FoodService Director;11/15/2004, Vol. 17 Issue 11, p12
Interviews several U.S. foodservice directors on childhood nutrition. Nadine Mann at East Baton Rouge Parish; Fran Nelson at Cherry Creek Schools; David Berkowitz at New York City Schools.
- Creating Class Leaders. // Kiwi;Mar/Apr2008, p54
An interview with Greg Christian, founder and chairman of the Organic School Project, is presented. When asked how to upgrade food so that children will still eat it, he recommends feeding children with food that is already on the menu, then changing it slowly that children will not even notice....
- The Wholesome Chef. PASCOPELLA, ANGELA // District Administration;Jun/Jul2009, Vol. 45 Issue 6, p38
An interview with Jim Rowan, the food service director for two school districts, one in Washington State, the other in Oregon, is presented. Rowan switched from working in college food service to K12 (Kindergarten through 12th grade) food service. Topics include the price per plate of food...
- WHERE IMAGE SPELLS R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Schuster, Karolyn // Food Management;Mar2001, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p42
Focuses on a community outreach program by the foodservice department of the school district in Volusia County, Florida. Growth strategies by School Way Cafe director Christine Farneti; Involvement of chefs in the schools; Foray into culinary competitions; School district's commitment to a...
- IN SCHOOL FOODSERVICE: FARNETI ACHIEVES FAME. // FoodService Director;2/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p5
Reports on several food service executives who were awarded at the annual Foodservice Achievement Management Excellence program held in Savannah, Georgia in 2003. Christine Farneti; Paul Harvey; Rosie Jackson.
- Children's health threatened by dubious food allergy `treatments'. // NCAHF Newsletter (08903417);Jul/Aug95, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p3
Cites a study finding that the `failure to thrive' condition in children can result from elimination diets used to treat food allergies that are both real and imagined.
- It's probably not a food allergy after all. // Tufts University Diet & Nutrition Letter;Apr95, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p7
Warns parents against the tendency to remove foods suspected of causing allergy from their children's diet. Negative effects; Need for a more collaborative approach with the pediatrician; Proper understanding of food allergy.