FHLBs could guarantee school debt
- Treasury Study Raises Hackles at FHLBs. // National Mortgage News;4/14/2003, Vol. 27 Issue 29, p22
Reports on the U.S. Treasury Department's study of the federal home loan bank system to assess implementation of legislative reforms adopted in 1999. Relationship of the department with the banks; Key provisions of federal laws affecting the banks.
- Divisive plan on bailout bond interest is dropped from Home Loan Bank bill. de Senerpont Domis, Olaf // American Banker;7/12/1995, Vol. 160 Issue 132, p2
Reports that a controversial measure to restructure the way Federal Home Loan banks pay interest on thrift bailout bonds has been dropped from legislation to modernize the Home Loan Bank System. Reasons for removing the provision; Concern over a provision that would toughen standards for...
- Proposed Home Loan Bank changes could benefit banks. // ABA Banking Journal;Jul93, Vol. 85 Issue 7, p65
Reports on the proposed reform of the Federal Home Loan Bank System. Introduction of House Resolution 1085 by Representatives Stephen Neal and Richard Baker; Provisions; Reports of different groups on issues regarding the future of the home loan bank system.
- Squabbling over fico bond payments may derail Home Loan System update. de Senerpont Domis, Olaf // American Banker;7/14/1995, Vol. 160 Issue 134, p2
Reports on the cancellation of a US House Banking subcommittee vote on legislation to modernize the Federal Home Loan Bank System. Disagreement among the 12 Home Loan bank district presidents on how to allocate interest payments on thrift-bailout bonds; Concerns about the eventual phaseout of...
- The industry has a stake in reform of home loan banks. Britt, Steve // American Banker;8/10/93, Vol. 158 Issue 152, p14
Opinion. Comments on the legislative issue of Federal Home Loan Bank System reform. Reform as a way of reducing the regulatory costs of community lending; Need to expand credit powers of lending institutions; System reform as an opportunity to redirect an existing government enterprise to...
- Bid to raise cap on FHLB lending has foes in House. de Senerpont Domis, Olaf // American Banker;11/6/1995, Vol. 160 Issue 214, p2
Expects US Senator Alfonse M. D'Amato to propose an increase in the cap on the amount of money that Federal Home Loan System banks may lend to commercial banks. Plans by House lawmakers to oppose the measure; D'Amato's desire to raise the limit on home loan advances to commercial banks;...
- Gramm's stall tactics. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;07/28/99, Vol. 329 Issue 30692, p1
Reports on United States Senate Banking Committee Chairman Phil Gramm's blockage of a legislation that would have enabled federal home loan banks to guarantee $500 million in tax-exempt bonds each year. Language inserted in a tax cut bill stalling the implementation of the legislation; Gramm's...
- Leach charges home loan banks losing sight of mission. de Senerpont Domis, Olaf // American Banker;9/28/1995, Vol. 160 Issue 187, p2
Reports on the warning issued by House Banking Committee Chairman Jim Leach to the Federal Home Loan Bank System against depositing money in Japanese banks. Move away from the systems original mission; Focus on the short-term Japanese bank products; Testimony of bank presidents.
- Baker, Treasury said to be in accord on federal home loan bank legislation. // American Banker;5/30/1996, Vol. 161 Issue 103, p2
Reports on US Representative Richard H. Baker's remarks on the US Treasury position on his legislation expanding the mission of the federal home loan bank.