Young Wild Critter Q & A
- Raccoons in Mahoning Co. positive for rabies. // Farm & Dairy;11/6/2014, Vol. 101 Issue 7, pC5
The article reports that two raccoons from Youngstown, Ohio has been confirmed positive for rabies virus following laboratory examination.
- Virsina sees 25-year rabies high. // DVM: The Newsmagazine of Veterinary Medicine;Apr2008, Vol. 39 Issue 4, p22
The article reports on the cases of animal rabies that have reached to their highest number since 1982 according to Richmond, Virginia health officials. Based on the data released by the state Department of Health, almost 40 cases involve dogs and cats, although most of the 730 cases involved...
- Backyard Nesting Sites. Curry, Jennifer // Flower & Garden;Apr99, Vol. 43 Issue 2, p7
Provides information on how to make nesting sites for birds in the backyard. Special nutritional needs of birds during the nesting season; Nest boxes in the yard; Design of the nest boxes.
- Fledgling or Foundling? Praded, Joni // Animals;Mar/Apr99, Vol. 132 Issue 2, p26
Provides information on taking care of young animals. Tips for knowing when a young animal needs help; How to avoid separating a young animal from its mother.
- The Good, the Bad & the Ugly. Greij, Eldon // Birder's World;Jun2001, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p60
Discusses the variations in the development of nestlings. Characteristics of the atricial nestlings, or chicks that hatch from small eggs; Occurrence of fratricide on heron and egret nestlings; Vocalization of precocial chicks prior to and during hatching; Details on the process of egg hatching.
- Strictly for the birds. Dixon, Bernard // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);9/24/88, Vol. 297 Issue 6651, p800
Focuses on the issues of fledglings migration in Europe. Use of external reference systems; Identification of the avian navigational systems; Duration of the migration.
- Correcting Nesting-Success Estimates for Observer Effects: Maximum-Likelihood Estimates of Daily... Rotella, Jay J.; Taper, Mark L. // Auk (American Ornithologists Union);Jan2000, Vol. 117 Issue 1, p92
Presents information on a study which developed a statistical method that simultaneously estimates the daily survival rate and observer effect to determine nesting success. Methodology of the study; Results and discussion on the study.
- Q: Why do you never see baby seagulls? // Ralph;Feb2003, p21
Clarifies why people never see seagull chicks. Places where seagull lay eggs.
- Rabies cases up in Burnet County. Hanselka, Jason // Burnet Bulletin (Texas);12/6/2006, Vol. 134 Issue 49, p1A
The article reports that the number of rabies cases in Burnet County has increased and highlights comments from Dan McBride, rabies control officer for Burnet County.