Stop Barking, Senator Ensign
- FCC to Probe Video Franchising Hurdles. Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;10/31/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 45, p8
Reports on the plan of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to launch a rulemaking procedure regarding the entry of telephone companies in October 2005. Information on a provision of the 1992 Cable Act that the FCC is planning to examine; Reason behind the attempt of SBC...
- Learning to play by rules that aren't always fair. Maurer, Mickey // Indianapolis Business Journal;05/01/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 7, p11A
Focuses on lessons learned by the author from competition in the cable television market in Indiana. State law that forbids the granting of exclusive franchises; Author's experience with filing of a grant in cable television in Franfort; Factors that make entrepreneurship exciting.
- Conn. Won't rim Franchises Over Rates. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;2/17/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 7, p16
Reports on the denial of petition from state senators by Connecticut regulators that called for reductions in franchise-renewal spans for cable operators that raise rates in excess of the cost-of-living index and fail to support community programming. Senators that filed the petition; Factors...
- Overbuilds Gain Franchises, Seek Others. Estrella, Joe; Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;09/25/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 39, p8
Reports the franchises gained by several cable companies in the United States. List of franchises signing deals with Digital Access Inc. and Everest Connections; Details on the cable market in several states; Companies focusing on second-tier markets.
- N.J. Pol Wants to Aid Overbuild Efforts. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;9/3/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 36, p8
Reports the drive of Senator Richard Dodey to allow cable competitors to receive better franchise terms over incumbent operators in the U.S. Impact of the move on program providers; Negotiation of regional franchises; Limitations of the franchise proposals.
- L.A. OPERATORS PREVIEW POSITIONS. Figler, Andrea // Cable World (10427228);4/1/2002, Vol. 14 Issue 13, p6
Reports the plans of cable operators in Los Angeles, California to renew the franchise-renewal negotiations in 2002.
- Charter Inks Pact With Va. Town. // Multichannel News;08/07/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 32, p18
Reports on the agreement of Charter Communications Inc. with the city council to maintain its cable television franchise in Suffolk, Virginia.
- Charter offers customer perks, system upgrades. Shepherd, Shawn // Business Press;04/16/99, Vol. 11 Issue 50, p3
Reports on steps taken by Charter Communications Inc. to repair the damage to its corporate image done by its much-maligned Marcus Cable operation in Texas. Charter's goal to be recognized as an excellent provider of customer service and high-technology communications; Launch of an external...
- Charter: We're Growing Nicely. Farrell, Mike // Multichannel News;02/19/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 8, p2
Reports on United States-based cable television company Charter Communications Inc.'s financial performance for the fourth quarter of the year 2000. Increase in operating cash flow; Increase in number of subscribers; Factors affecting the company's financial performance.