Of genomics and public health: Building public "goods"?
- Genomics and the Public Health Code of Ethics. Thomas, James C.; Irwin, Debra E.; Zuiker, Erin Shaugnessy; Millikan, Robert C. // American Journal of Public Health;Dec2005, Vol. 95 Issue 12, p2139
We consider the public health applications of genomic technologies as viewed through the lens of the public health code of ethics. We note, for example, the potential for genomics to increase our appreciation for the public health value of interdependence, the potential for some genomic tools to...
- Top 10 health care ethics challenges facing the public: views of Toronto bioethicists. Breslin, Jonathan M; MacRae, Susan K; Bell, Jennifer; Singer, Peter A // BMC Medical Ethics;2005, Vol. 6, p5
Background: There are numerous ethical challenges that can impact patients and families in the health care setting. This paper reports on the results of a study conducted with a panel of clinical bioethicists in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, the purpose of which was to identify the top ethical...
- The Public Interest, Public Goods, and Third-Party Access to UK Biobank. Capps, Benjamin // Public Health Ethics;Nov2012, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p240
In 2007, the Ethics and Governance Council of the UK Biobank commissioned a Report on â€˜Concepts of Public Good and Pubic Interest in Access Policiesâ€™. This study considered the Biobankâ€™s role as a â€˜public goodâ€™ in respect to supporting and promoting health...
- Genetic and Genomic Healthcare: Ethical Issues of Importance to Nurses. Lea, Dale Halsey // Online Journal of Issues in Nursing;2008, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p6
The complete sequencing of the human genome in 2003 has opened doors for new approaches to health promotion, maintenance, and treatment. Genetic research is now leading to a better understanding of the genetic components of common diseases, such as cancer, diabetes, and stroke, and creating new,...
- In brief. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);10/4/2003, Vol. 327 Issue 7418, p766
Offers medical news briefs. Drop in MMR vaccine levels; Testing for SARS in Hong Kong; Police chief to head Council for the Regulation of Healthcare Professionals; Launch of a clinical ethics website; Agreement of Wellcome to meet publication charges for its research; Decoding of the genome for...
- Global public goods and health. Smith, Richard D. // Bulletin of the World Health Organization;2003, Vol. 81 Issue 7, p475
Health improvement requires collective as well as individual action, and the health of poor populations in particular requires collective action between countries as well as within them. Initiatives such as the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria reflect a growing awareness of...
- The STRUCTURE of the SITUATION. Rowe, Michael // Hastings Center Report;Nov/Dec2003, Vol. 33 Issue 6, p37
Presents an article about moral concerns in medical care.
- Letters To The Editor. Terry; Miles, Bob; Allen, Judd; Hertel, Lutz // Electronic Ardell Wellness Report (E-AWR);4/25/2008, Issue 432, p3
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to articles in previous issues of the journal including one on medical care, another on medical ethics and a letter on wellness.
- FPM QUIZ. // Family Practice Management;Mar2005, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p81
Presents a quiz related to medical ethics and patient care in the U.S.