Thomas Jefferson's Black Descendants Attend Family Reunion At Monticello
- Group Delays Decision On Admitting Sally Hemings' Descendants To Monticello Association. // Jet;05/22/2000, Vol. 97 Issue 24, p8
Discusses the delay of the Monticello Association, made up of descendants of former United States president Thomas Jefferson, in deciding whether to allow descendants of Jefferson's slave, Sally Hemings, into the organization.
- Thomas Jefferson Family Proposes Separate Cemetery For Slave Descendants. // Jet;5/6/2002, Vol. 101 Issue 20, p8
Reports that heirs of former U.S. President Thomas Jefferson are proposing the creation of a separate cemetery on the grounds of his Monticello estate for the descendants of slave Sally Hemmings.
- Like Father, Like Son. // Cortlandt Forum;02/25/99, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p217
Focuses on former United States President Thomas Jefferson fathering a son by Sally Hemings, one of his slaves, while being an accomodationist on the slavery issue in his time. Use of DNA testing to end the debate of Jefferson's fathering of a child; Lines in Jefferson's correspondence that are...
- Untitled. Chavez, Linda // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;05/24/99, Vol. 28 Issue 48, p20
Comments on the move by descendants of Thomas Jefferson to extend membership to descendants of Jefferson's most famous slave and putative mistress Sally Hemmings in the exclusive Monticello Society. Background information on studies tracing if one of Hemmings' children was a Jefferson;...
- Jefferson's new generation. Silver, Marc // U.S. News & World Report;12/04/2000, Vol. 129 Issue 22, p21
Discusses the lineage of Shannon Lanier who claims Thomas Jefferson as his great grandfather. Mention of the book 'Jefferson's Children,' by Lanier; Thought that slave Sally Hemings of Jefferson gave birth to some of his children; Questions of anger over slavery.
- DNA gets the final word--sort of. Chaddock, Gail Russell // Christian Science Monitor;11/17/98, Vol. 90 Issue 247, p13
Looks at how DNA evidence was used to conclude that Thomas Jefferson fathered at least one child though his slave Sally Hemings. The attitudes which kept many from believing that Jefferson had children through Hemings; The ability to compare the Y chromosomes of male descendants in both the...
- All in the Family. White, Jack E. // Time;5/24/1999, Vol. 153 Issue 20, p66
Discusses the writer's bi-racial background and his strained relationship with his caucasian relatives. The paternity test establishing that President Thomas Jefferson fathered a child by Sally Hemings, one of his slaves; How the Jefferson and Hemings discovery is a reminder that racial...
- The Thomas Jefferson/Sally Hemings controversy: Did Jefferson also father children by Sally Hemings' Sister? Randolph, Laura B. // Ebony;Feb1999, Vol. 54 Issue 4, p189
Discusses the controversy about the secret relationship of former United States President Thomas Jefferson with slave Sally Hemings. Comments from Robert Golden, president of Woodson Family Association; Participation of white male Jefferson descendants and other male descendants of Hemings in...
- Thomas Jefferson Family Group Bars Slave Descendants From Membership. // Jet;5/27/2002, Vol. 101 Issue 23, p20
Reports that the Monticello Association, an organization for the descendants of Thomas Jefferson, voted not to extend membership to descendants of Sally Hemmings, one of Jefferson's slaves reputed to have borne several of his children.